Electronic Structure question?

In summary, the maximum number of electrons that can be held in the first four shells are 2, 8, 18, 32, with the valence shell having 8 electrons or less. This is determined by the formula 2^n, where n is the principal quantum number. Additionally, the valence shell must have less than 8 electrons in order to define valency. The provided Wikipedia article offers further explanation on this topic.
MattA147
Electronic Structure question? :)

Hey guys essentially in my GCSE Chem class we were told that the maximum number of electrons that can be held in the first four shells are as follows - 2,8,8,2. Now in my AS Level textbook it is saying that it goes 2,8,18,32. Can someone please explain to me why this is the case, and give me some clarification?

Chemistry news on Phys.org

Thanks for your reply, that article is making a lot more sense than any other article I found. It is appreciated. :)

1. What is electronic structure?

Electronic structure refers to the arrangement of electrons within an atom or molecule. It describes how electrons are distributed in different energy levels or orbitals around the nucleus of an atom.

2. How is electronic structure determined?

Electronic structure is determined through various experimental techniques such as spectroscopy and diffraction, as well as computational methods like quantum mechanics. These methods allow us to observe and calculate the energy levels and orbitals of electrons in atoms and molecules.

3. What is the significance of electronic structure?

The electronic structure of atoms and molecules plays a crucial role in determining their chemical and physical properties. It can explain the reactivity, stability, and bonding of different substances, and is essential for understanding chemical reactions and processes.

4. What is the difference between valence electrons and core electrons?

Valence electrons are electrons in the outermost energy level of an atom, which are involved in chemical bonding and reactions. Core electrons, on the other hand, are found in the inner energy levels and are not involved in bonding. They play a role in shielding the valence electrons from the positive charge of the nucleus.

5. Can electronic structure change?

Electronic structure can change under certain conditions, such as in chemical reactions or when exposed to external factors like temperature or pressure. However, the number of electrons in an atom or molecule remains constant, and only the distribution of electrons within different energy levels or orbitals may change.