Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electronic Structure question?

1. Jun 22, 2012 #1
    Electronic Structure question? :)

Hey guys essentially in my GCSE Chem class we were told that the maximum number of electrons that can be held in the first four shells are as follows - 2,8,8,2. Now in my AS Level textbook it is saying that it goes 2,8,18,32. Can someone please explain to me why this is the case, and give me some clarification?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2012 #2
    Re: Electronic Structure question? :)

Hi Matt!

The maximum possible electrons in the shells are 2,8,18,32..... given by 2^n, where n is the principal quantum number. But there also is another condition that the valence shell must have 8 electrons or less, because that is how we define valency to be less than 8.

You might want to take a look at this page : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron_shell#List_of_elements_with_electrons_per_shell

4. Jun 23, 2012 #3
    Re: Electronic Structure question? :)

Thanks for your reply, that article is making a lot more sense than any other article I found. It is appreciated. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook