Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electronic Voice Phenomenon

1. Oct 13, 2004 #1
    There's a new horror movie coming out called "White Noise" (which actually does look kinda scary). Central to the story is Electronic Voice Phenomenon, where a tape or video recorder captures supposed voices or images from dead people. Being a skeptic, I find it hard to accept that EVP recordings are from dead people and have no natural explanation. I was wondering what others' thoughts are on EVP and where the best sites are for investigation into the phenomenon.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2004 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

These could be stray radio transmissions, left over data on the tapes, imaginative interpretations of noise and false images, fakes...

Why don't you try it at home and see if you have ghosts. If so, I would bet that every house in the city has similar ghosts. If not, stop by the nearest graveyard with your blank tape on some spooky midnight and tell us what happens; if you make it home alive. :uhh: :surprised

4. Oct 14, 2004 #3
    Some claim to recognise the voice of a deceased relative etc from EVP tapes. However, a few years ago Hall researched our ability to accurately relate specific voices to specific people, and found that as unreliable as eyewitness testimony is, so-called earwitness testimony is worse.

5. Oct 16, 2004 #4
    I remember reading about an experiment done where radio waves were shielded by placing a tape recorder in a lead-lined bunker and apparently they still got voices on the tape.
    Tried it once myself actually, got this weird blowing on the mic peice, like something was blowing on it, with increasing intensity. Thought it might have been a fly but i dont think it would have produced a loud enough noise. Odd.

6. Oct 17, 2004 #5

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

This is another urban legend that goes way back. We used to do this over pizza. All we ever heard was '4 dollars' from the pizza dude.

7. Oct 17, 2004 #6
    Its not an urban legend atall, stop spreading misinformation.

8. Oct 17, 2004 #7

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Here is a good resource for information regarding EVP, as well as a wide variety of other paranormal stuff. It includes links and commentary from both sides of the fence, so it seems reasonably balanced.
    http://skepdic.com/evp.html

9. Oct 17, 2004 #8
    Yeah i like the Thomas Edison quote...

10. Oct 18, 2004 #9
    I think that perhaps 1 in 1000 EVP events actually come from "something weird" [because of contex- not content]

the vast majority of them are acoustic events which happen to have the right waveshapes to trigger certian kinds of speech recognition reactions in the brain- similar to how random complex geographical features can trigger false/partial facial recognition-

I have done quite a bit of abstract electronic sounddesign over the last 15 years or so- and it is not uncommon to uncover or randomly generate EVP type speech by modulating complex sounds- there is just enough of the right kinds of timbres and envelopes to trick the brain-

11. Oct 18, 2004 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Also, from the link
    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Now how in the world did we arrive at that conclusion? ET ESP I suppose...? That's about the funniest claim I've ever read!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?