1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electronics Engg

1. Aug 11, 2011 #1
    I will be doing Electronics engineering, and in the next 4 years, will be an engineer. But actually, I want to get into research field. Astronomy fascinates me. Can I pursue a Mtech in Astronomy after my engineering? Or in something else related to research in space? Also, I am from India.

And how is Electronics Engineering btw? It's pros and cons?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2011 #2

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

I have no idea--I suppose I am an electronics engineer (albeit only as a contractor, and at a place where I've been told I'm the one-eyed in the land of the blind) but your question is extremely broad, and will greatly vary with where you work, what company you work at, and whom you work with. All that said, I've noticed a lot of people from India who want to go into a physics field (and often, a theoretical one) in graduate school, but want to--or are coming from--an engineering education.

Could you weigh in on the thread below? I'd love for more perspective and feedback on the topic (especially since it comes up so often):
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=511511

4. Oct 4, 2011 #3
    I've known a few engineers that went into astronomy. You will have to go through graduate school though. It depends a lot on the school, your courses, and a few other factors, but many grad programs would probably take you. Keep in mind though that you're going to have to go out of your way to contact the departments personally. You're going to have to explain your situation. Many times departments are making decisions based on who's going to do well, and if you've not had the high level physics classes that the rest of the applicants have, you're going to at least have to show some willingness to take the extra year to do that work.

What would *really* help you above all else is what kind of work you do as an undergraduate, particularly what papers you're on.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook