Electronics of a detector

In summary: Hello Gleem,In summary, the three terminals on the back of the scintillator detector are for a high voltage supply, an amplifier, and an electronic instrument. The picture shows two electronic modules which appear custom made, and the right side module has unlabled inputs (for digital signals?) not a particularly good practice. The left side appears to have a selection of outputs for various voltages perhaps for controlling other instrumentation.
Rajini
Hell all,
I need a help in understanding the electrical connection of a scintillator, a detector for detecting/counting gamma rays. In the back side of the detector there are three connections, 1. a high voltage supply, 2. to amplifier or preamplifier or single channel or multichannel analyzer, and there is 3rd one, which is connected to the electronic instrument (as shown in the attached figure, the instrument I mean is on the right)..Can someone help me what is this 3rd one? Also I am curious to know what is the instrument shown in the left side (with red and black sockets with +24 V, +15 V, etc).
Thanks for your reply, Raj.

Attachments

• DSC_0429.jpg
    DSC_0429.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 488
Physics news on Phys.org
The single channel or multichannel analyzer is usually the last instrument in a standard detector system. The analyzers may have outputs to transmit their information to a computer or other device. The picture shows two electronic modules which appear custom made . The right side module has unlabled inputs (for digital signals?) not a particularly good practice. The left side appears to have a selection of outputs for various voltages perhaps for controlling other instrumentation. Where did this picture come from.

Hello Gleem,
Thanks for the input. Yes, I guess they are custom made (found in my lab). My question is: I found three terminals on the scintilator detector, 1 for high voltage supply, 2nd is connected to SCA/MCA or any ADC circuit for converting or amplifying the analog pulses to digital ones. I see there another terminal which was connected to the electronic instrument as seen in the right of the above photograph.
In this website http://scionix.nl/ [Broken] go to 'configurations general' section..There you see the 'top view' in fig. 5.2 and last color photo..You will see three terminals. I just want to know about it.
Thanks for your reply.
Raj.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 12 V input on the PMT base is for a built in preamp. Putting a preamp in the base helps reduce noise on the signal that goes to the main amplifier. The preamp is close to the signal source having short input leads and is effectively shielded so the output to the amp will have reduced noise.

Hello gleem,
may I know about 'S' in that figure?
Cheers, raj.

"S" is the signal output from the preamp.

Hello gleem,
thanks again. HV for supplying the high voltage. Suppose if I don't want to use any pre amplifier, how should I connect the PMT to spectroscopy main amplifier? I think I use a BNC cable to connect the 'S' to the 'input' of spectroscopy main amplifier. Is this okay?
Thanks, Raj.

I think you want to use the preamp just connect it to the main amp you might have to reduce the gain the the main amp to prevent saturation.

1. What is the purpose of electronics in a detector?

The electronics in a detector are used to convert physical signals into electrical signals, amplify and process these signals, and then provide a readout of the data collected by the detector. This allows for the detection and measurement of various physical phenomena such as radiation, temperature, or movement.

2. How does the electronics of a detector work?

The electronics of a detector typically consist of several components, including sensors, amplifiers, filters, and data converters. The sensors detect and convert physical signals into electrical signals, which are then amplified and processed by the amplifiers and filters. The data converters then convert the signals into digital data, which can be read and analyzed by a computer or other device.

3. What types of detectors use electronics?

Electronics are used in a wide range of detectors, including radiation detectors, temperature sensors, motion detectors, and many others. These detectors are used in various industries and applications, such as medical imaging, security systems, and scientific research.

4. How do advances in electronics impact detector technology?

Advances in electronics have greatly impacted detector technology by allowing for more sensitive, accurate, and efficient detection and measurement. As electronic components become smaller and more powerful, detectors are becoming more compact, portable, and versatile. Additionally, advancements in data processing and storage have enabled detectors to collect and analyze larger amounts of data in real-time.

5. Are there any safety concerns with the electronics of a detector?

Yes, there can be safety concerns with the electronics of a detector, especially in the case of radiation detectors. It is important for proper shielding and safety protocols to be in place to protect individuals from exposure to harmful radiation. Additionally, regular maintenance and calibration of the electronics are essential to ensure accurate and safe operation of the detector.