What Waveform Results from Passing a Square Wave Through an Op-Amp?

Without any additional components, the op amp will not affect the square wave produced by the function generator. However, if additional components are added, the output waveform may change.
NBAJam100

Homework Statement

If you were to generate a square wave with zero offset voltage using a function generater. What shape wave would the V out be if put through an opAmp??

The Attempt at a Solution

For some reason this seems like an odd answer to me, because i want to say a sine wave is the Vout wave produced... but if you were to amplify a square wave wouldn't a bigger square wave be produced? Thants my guess. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You shouldn't be guessing at physics problems.

Mathematically, what does a zero offset square wave look like? What does an opamp do to its inputs?

The answer to this question depends entirely on what else is connected to the op amp (i.e., resistors, capacitors, etc.).

1. What is an op-amp?

An op-amp (operational amplifier) is an electronic device that amplifies the difference between two input voltages. It is commonly used in electronic circuits for signal processing, filtering, and amplification.

2. How does an op-amp work?

An op-amp consists of a differential amplifier stage, followed by a high-gain amplifier stage. The input voltages are compared and the resulting difference is amplified to a higher output voltage. The output voltage is limited by the power supply voltage and the op-amp's gain.

3. What is the ideal behavior of an op-amp?

The ideal op-amp has infinite gain, infinite input impedance, and zero output impedance. This means that it amplifies the input signal perfectly without drawing any current from the input source and producing an output voltage that is not affected by the load resistance.

4. What are some common applications of op-amps?

Op-amps are used in a wide range of electronic circuits, such as audio amplifiers, filters, oscillators, and voltage regulators. They are also used in instrumentation and control systems, as well as in signal processing and communication systems.

5. What are some considerations when selecting an op-amp for a circuit?

When selecting an op-amp, factors to consider include the required gain and bandwidth, input and output impedance, supply voltage range, and output voltage swing. It is also important to consider the op-amp's noise characteristics, temperature range, and cost.