What is the meaning of 'float' in electronics measuring instruments?

In summary, the term 'float' in an electronics measuring instrument refers to a terminal or signal that is not connected to safety ground (or earth). This is often seen in instruments with BNC connectors, as they are usually connected to earth for safety reasons. However, there are exceptions to this rule, such as in instruments with double insulated construction. In these cases, the external metal pieces do not need to be connected to earth ground.
haiha
I am reading the manuals of an electronics measuring instrument, in which the term 'float' is repeated several times. Can anyone explain this term?

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Floating usually means not connected electrically. So you can have floating inputs to CMOS gates where the pins have not been connected to any other part of the circuit (a bad thing in general), or you can have a circuit whose logic ground is floating with respect to Earth ground.

If it is a measurement instrument a "floating" terminal is a terminal NOT connected to safety ground (i.e. earth).
In many instruments (e.g. most oscilloscopes and ALL instruments with BNC connectors) the ground terminals are connected to Earth (this is due to safety regulations, there is no real "physical" reason).

f95toli said:
If it is a measurement instrument a "floating" terminal is a terminal NOT connected to safety ground (i.e. earth).
In many instruments (e.g. most oscilloscopes and ALL instruments with BNC connectors) the ground terminals are connected to Earth (this is due to safety regulations, there is no real "physical" reason).

Not necessarily. I can't recall for sure where, but I have seen equipment with BNC connectors that are isolated from conduit ground.

Generally floating also refers to a signal that is not with reference to the same ground that is creating the signal. To make it clear let me illustrate, in a opamp the output is floating as it is not with reference to the input Vin, but is in reference to the V+ and V- of the supply terminals of the opamp.

This also prevents loading the source (Vin) but that's another story.

Averagesupernova said:
Not necessarily. I can't recall for sure where, but I have seen equipment with BNC connectors that are isolated from conduit ground.

Maybe it was a "custom made" instrument? Or, it was not BNC but triax (or twinax, or another "BNC-like" connector)?
It would is illegal in most (all?) countries to sell a wall-powered instruments with floating BNC connectors. There is no real "electrical" reason for this (except safety), but the rules say that all accessible metallic parts of an instrument (including the enclosure, all external screws etc) must be connected to earth.
Differential oscilloscopes generally use TWO BNC connectors for each channel.

f95toli said:
It would is illegal in most (all?) countries to sell a wall-powered instruments with floating BNC connectors. There is no real "electrical" reason for this (except safety), but the rules say that all accessible metallic parts of an instrument (including the enclosure, all external screws etc) must be connected to earth.

The exception to this rule is if the instrument uses "double insulated" construction. Then the external metal pieces do not need to be connected to Earth ground. For example, when a portable oscilloscope is powered with its wall transformer adapter, the metal shells of the coax connectors for the scope probes are floating with respect to Earth ground. With some care, the "ground" clips of portable scope probes can be connected to either hot or neutral in AC Mains measurements.

What is float in electronics?

In electronics, float refers to the condition of a wire or electrical connection that is not grounded or connected to any other circuit. This is also known as an open circuit or floating ground.

Why is float important in electronics?

Float is important in electronics because it ensures that the electrical current flows in the intended direction and prevents short circuits. It also allows for isolation of circuits and protects against electrical shocks.

How do you test for float in electronics?

To test for float in electronics, you can use a multimeter set to measure resistance. Connect one probe to the wire or connection being tested and the other probe to a known ground. If the resistance reading is infinite, then the wire/connection is floating.

What are some common causes of float in electronics?

Float in electronics can be caused by a variety of factors, such as damaged or broken wires, loose connections, faulty components, or improper grounding. It can also occur when two different voltage sources are connected together without a common ground.

How can float be prevented in electronics?

Floating in electronics can be prevented by ensuring all wires and connections are properly grounded, using quality components, and following proper wiring and circuit design techniques. Regular maintenance and checks can also help identify and prevent potential float issues.