Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrons and protons

1. Sep 14, 2006 #1
    [COLOR="Lime"]:zzz: :confused: :confused: I would like to know if you can create a false but almost irrisitable ground in which electons have an attraction like a magnet. For example if it were to lightning outside I would like to create a charge in which the electricty thinks my path chosen is path of least resistance. It is to my understanding that when an atom is consumed by more protons than electrons, and an atom consumed with more electrons than protons get near each other they equal out. Due to theory on how opposites attract can you create a irrisistable nonstop transfer, and a nonstop production of positve charged atoms which in turn swap out there positve buddies in to negative electrons when other atoms are introduced. In Lamens terms ( Boys meets girl, girl likes boy more than any boy in the world.) In which case would it be possible to sort of trick electrons into thinking that a group of atoms are consumed with more protons at one location all the time.:eek: :rofl: :bugeye:[/COLOR]
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2006 #2

Staff: Mentor

Um, no. That doesn't work that way. Lightning interaction with the ground is complex and the electric current does follow the path of least resistance, or greatest conduction. But that also has to do with the charge distributions and potentials involved.

Atoms contain protons (and neutrons) in the nucleus and electrons surround the nucleus in a number that usually balances the nuclear charge, i.e. maintains charge neutrality outside the atom. Protons do not move freely like electrons. One has to look at molecules and compounds which have different binding strengths on their electrons. Some materials, like metals, are great conductors of electricity since their electrons are very mobile, while cermamics, particularly metal oxides are great insulators, i.e. have high resistance to electrical current since their electrons are bound (much less mobile) in molecular bonds (orbits).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?