Do electrons really have zero mass?

In summary, electrons are not truly massless, but they have a very small rest mass compared to other particles. However, in certain conditions, they may behave as if they have no rest mass. Gamma rays, on the other hand, are massless particles and are a form of electromagnetic radiation. They have both wave and particle properties, and can be described as having a rest mass, although it is not a traditional mass like other particles. Overall, the concept of mass in physics can be complex and involve dualities and approximations.
Cosmo16
Electrons are "massless"?

Why are electrons described as "massless". It seems to me that they would have to have mass. Are they truly massless or is this the same kind of aproximation that is made with ideal gas laws?

Physics news on Phys.org
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/particles/lepton.html#c2

An electron is a lepton with rest mass of 0.511 MeV (or 9.11 x 10-31 kg).

Compared to a proton of rest mass 938.27 MeV (1.6726231 x 10-27 kg), the electron is light, but not massless.

Perhaps the article cited by ZapperZ indicates that electrons in certain conditions behaves as massless particles.

From the article on PhysicsWeb -
Two teams of physicists have discovered previously unseen exotic behaviour in sheets of carbon atoms. The teams have shown that electrons move through the sheets as if they have no rest mass. They have also observed a minimum value of conductivity for the sheets and an unusual form of the quantum Hall effect (Nature 438 197 and 201).

Further investigation has revealed
that the electrons in graphene behave like relativistic particles that have no rest mass and travel at about 106 metres per second. Although this is a factor of 300 slower than the speed of light in vacuum, it is still much faster than the speed of electrons in an ordinary conductor. Moreover, the electrons in most conductors can be described by non-relativistic quantum mechanics, whereas the electrons in graphene need to be treated as relativistic particles called massless Dirac fermions.
Go to Zz's thread https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=99223

Last edited:
well, my chem teacher calls them masssless, which annoys me, which is why asked.

Cosmo16 said:
well, my chem teacher calls them masssless, which annoys me, which is why asked.

Chemistry people are nuts :P

Is this high school? College professors wouldn't make such a mistake...

ya its HS. Cool guy, really good teacher , I think he just doesn't want to confuse the rest of the class when were doing atomic mass. At least, I'm assuming that what is was.

Yah that is probably the reason. When i was in high school, i was like "wait wait wait, you didn't add in the electrons :(". He still shouldn't say they are massless however, he should just say they are too small to be considered in weighing masses at a high school level.

he might have said they were negligible once.
While I'm on the topic- gamma rays (edit:particles not rays) have mass- correct?
Cause he did say that those were massless.

There is no such thing as a gamma particle. Gamma rays are massless however.

ok, maybe it is gamma rays I am thinking of then, we were doing radiation, he was talking about it like it was a particle, but then he called it a ray, left me kinda confused.

Well it's an electromagnetic wave as far as i know :)

about gamma-rays... They shouldn't be the electromagnetic waves with the most corpuscular behaviour? The great deal of particle aspect of light (i.e. see Compton effect: a photon come to act like a ball that on a pool table matches another one, the electron, which is a really material particle despite gamma-ray!) is to attribute to them!
It is a strange dualism, for which some people have never come out!

Sorry for my spit-joint english

airman:shy:

Cosmo16 said:
ok, maybe it is gamma rays I am thinking of then, we were doing radiation, he was talking about it like it was a particle, but then he called it a ray, left me kinda confused.
Well, there's alpha particles, beta particles, and gamma particles/rays. Gamma rays, are photons, electromagnetic radiation. Wave-particle duality. And photons kind of have mass and kind of don't... rest mass they do have.

Mk said:
Well, there's alpha particles, beta particles, and gamma particles/rays. Gamma rays, are photons, electromagnetic radiation. Wave-particle duality. And photons kind of have mass and kind of don't... rest mass they do have.

Whoa! Since when?

Zz.

1. What does it mean for an electron to be massless?

It means that the electron does not have any physical mass or weight. This is in contrast to other subatomic particles, such as protons and neutrons, which have mass.

2. How was it determined that electrons are massless?

Electrons were determined to be massless through various experiments, including the Millikan oil drop experiment and the discovery of the electron's charge-to-mass ratio. These experiments showed that the electron has a very small mass compared to its charge.

3. If electrons are massless, how do they interact with other particles?

Despite having no physical mass, electrons still have energy and momentum, which allows them to interact with other particles through electromagnetic forces. They can also gain mass through interactions with the Higgs field.

4. Are there any exceptions to the concept of electrons being massless?

Yes, there are some theories that suggest that electrons may have a tiny, non-zero mass. However, these theories have not been confirmed through experiments and the current understanding is that electrons are indeed massless.

5. What implications does the masslessness of electrons have in our understanding of the universe?

The masslessness of electrons is an important concept in physics and has implications in various fields, such as quantum mechanics and particle physics. It also helps explain certain phenomena, such as the behavior of electrons in a magnetic field.