Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrons at high eta

1. Oct 13, 2015 #1

ChrisVer

Gold Member

Is it possible to ID an electron in ATLAS if it did not leave a track in the tracking system?
    I think that the coverage of the tracker is : ##| \eta | < 2.0## (TRT) or ##2.5## (SCT)
    for example an event of W+jet would result in Missing Transverse Energy alone + jet if the electron was to leave from ##\eta## let's say 4.0 (I'm being extreme)

On the other hand I was told there was a technique/algorithm that is able to ID those electrons too... but I don't think I understand how.... what such an electron would give is :
    1. no track
    2. energy deposit in the CAL system
    pretty much like the photon, right?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

"One of the strengths of the ATLAS detector is its ability to detect electromagnetic objects, even beyond the coverage of the tracking (| η | < 2.5), up to | η | < 4.9 through the EM Forward calorimeter."
    Google hit for "atlas very forward electrons"

Forward electrons are harder than electrons with tracks and W is harder than Z, so I would not expect a good accuracy, but it should be possible to see something.

4. Oct 14, 2015 #3
    One could always study electrons at Lhcb.

If you were interested in forward w+jets, this can also be studied there - http://arxiv.org/abs/1505.01399

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook