Number of Electrons on Sphere: Can't Figure It Out?

In summary, the number of electrons on a sphere can be determined using the formula N = Q/e, and it affects the overall charge, interactions, and properties of the sphere. The number of electrons on a sphere can change through various processes and there are factors that can impact its accurate determination.
the_d
I have a question that i can't figure out, if a sphere is charged with electrons to -1 x 10^-5 C. The charge of an electron is -1.6 x 10^-19 C. How many electrons are there on the sphere?

I simply divided the electron charge by the charge of the sphere but it says I'm wrong. Is the problem me or the computer?

Physics news on Phys.org
That's how you're supposed to do it. You should get something like 6 times 10^13.

I can understand your confusion and frustration with this problem. It is important to always double check our calculations and methods when trying to solve a scientific question. In this case, it is likely that the issue lies with the units being used. The charge of an electron is typically measured in coulombs (C), while the charge of the sphere is given in microcoulombs (µC). Therefore, when dividing the two values, we need to convert the charge of the sphere to coulombs by multiplying it by 10^-6. This would give us a total of 6.25 x 10^13 electrons on the sphere, which is a much more reasonable and accurate answer. I would suggest checking your units and calculations again to ensure they are correct. If you continue to have trouble, don't hesitate to ask for assistance from a colleague or a mentor. Science is all about collaboration and learning from each other.

1. How do you determine the number of electrons on a sphere?

The number of electrons on a sphere can be determined using the formula N = Q/e, where N is the number of electrons, Q is the total charge of the sphere, and e is the charge of a single electron.

2. What is the significance of the number of electrons on a sphere?

The number of electrons on a sphere determines the overall charge of the sphere. This charge can affect the interactions and behavior of the sphere with other objects or particles.

3. How does the number of electrons on a sphere affect its properties?

The number of electrons on a sphere can affect its properties such as its charge, mass, and interactions with other objects. It can also determine the stability and behavior of the sphere in different environments.

4. Can the number of electrons on a sphere change?

Yes, the number of electrons on a sphere can change through various processes such as gaining or losing electrons through chemical reactions or interactions with other particles.

5. Are there any factors that can impact the accuracy of determining the number of electrons on a sphere?

Yes, there are several factors that can impact the accuracy of determining the number of electrons on a sphere such as experimental error, environmental factors, and the complexity of the system being studied.