1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrons Colliding - Totally Confused

1. Jan 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two electrons separated by a large distance are fired directly at each other. The closest approach in this head-on collision is 4.0 * 10-14 m. One electron starts with twice the speed of the other. Assuming there is no deflection from the original path, determine the initial speed of each electron.

2. Relevant equations
    Ee = kq1q2 / r
    Ek = 1/2 mv2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm really lost as to how to start this. It must have something to do with electrical and kinetic energy but other than that I am mystified as to how to solve this.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2012 #2
    My first step would be to calculate the potential of 2 electrons at the given separation (equation 1)
    The total KE would then be equal to this as the next step

4. Jan 3, 2012 #3
    OK, so I'm getting the velocities as 1.0 * 108 m/s and 5.0 * 107 m/s. I'm pretty confident about this but the textbook only gives one answer (5.3 *7 10) m/s. There should be two velocities as an answer, so I think that must be an error. Is my answer correct?

5. Jan 3, 2012 #4
    I suppose yes, your answers are correct !!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook