Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrons disappearing?

1. Sep 23, 2010 #1
    I just found out that electrons can disappear and return at any giving moment, can someone clarify that for me?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2010 #2

mathman

Science Advisor

4. Sep 24, 2010 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Where did you find this?

Here's an important advice for newbies on here. When you say "Oh, I heard from such-and-such" or "I found that...", cite your sources explicitly! If you neglect to do that, it is extremely difficult for us to (i) double check if your sources are valid and not some dubious crackpottery (ii) if you read the source correctly or (iii) if you've misinterpreted the source.

Case in point is this one. An "electron" just simply doesn't appear and disappear, unless we're talking about a number of "special" circumstances, such as virtual electrons, quasiparticles, etc. So if we answer "yes" to the question above, it gives a horribly misleading impression that this phenomenon occurs regularly and that's how we view an electron!

You must give your sources when you expect us to address what you have learned. We simply have no ability to read your minds to know what you actually heard/read/etc.

Zz.

5. Sep 24, 2010 #4
    As far as I know, it is not possible to prove that an electron in an atomic orbital actually follows a path (from the right of the nucleus to the left, for instance). In the case that it didn't follow a path, what is the other option?

6. Sep 24, 2010 #5
    Under normal circumstances could you not just resort to the uncertainty principal?

7. Sep 24, 2010 #6

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

What is "normal"? In your common electric circuit, the "normal" way is to treat those electrons as a classical free particle gas! That's how you got your Ohm's law! So that's "normal".

Zz.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook