Could Electrons Exist in 4 Dimensions?

In summary, the article discusses how there may be some similarity between two pictures of electrons, and how this could be evidence for higher dimensions.
Raven Luni
Greetings,

This is basically just an observation I expect it to be laughed at (already has been laughed at in the mensa forum) but you know what they say - the only stupid questions are the ones left unasked and what better way to put it to rest than to ask some real hard core physicists...

I was reading an article about probability densities of electrons and one of the pictures struck me because I was reminded of some other stuff I had been reading about higher dimensional shapes - in this case a 3-sphere.

Here are 2 pictures for comparison:
orbitals.png

Hypersphere_coord.PNG

IF there is anything to this, it brings up another question of 'spooky action at a distance' (sorry I can't remember what the proper name for is). If 2 electrons are able to (interact? - or whatever it is they do after whatever it is gets done to them), could it mean that they are somehow aligned on the same 'plane' like the plane in the picture where the radius is infinite (straight line)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean they are aligned in the same plane? For any two particles I can easily construct more than 1 plane for them to both be in since there is no preferred orientation.

Also, there is a post in the general or classical physics forum right now that talks about what a Force is that you may want to look at.

Forget that part. (note to self: reign in the really really wild stuff a bit before talking to sensible people).

What my post should really say is more like: Wow what an interesting coincidence that those 2 pictures have some similarities. Could there possible be anything to this? I ask because I believe that higher dimensions can explain a lot of things. Another example is something I read years ago (cant even remember where) about certain crystalline structures having 4 and even 5 dimensional symmetry where the organisation appeared simply chaotic in only 3 dimensions.

I don't see any similarity whatsoever.

Many of the individual images in the top picture seem to fit with one of the bottom 3 in the bottom one

Raven Luni said:
Many of the individual images in the top picture seem to fit with one of the bottom 3 in the bottom one

The devil is in the details.

You need to keep in mind that just because a cow looks like a sphere from very far, it doesn't mean that it is a sphere. You are simplifying this way too much. This is fine, but then you are trying to draw some profound conclusion out of such a coarse view. This makes it not only illogical, but also wrong.

For example, the orbital clouds drawn in the top picture, you will notice, have different colors. That is trying to convey that the orbital wavefunction being depicted have different phase from each other! This representation is utterly absent in those lines being drawn in the bottom figure. These phases in the wavefunction is absolutely important, and chemistry will be a very puzzling subject without such a thing.

Zz.

Thankyou ZapperZ. Thats a good answer, and a curiosity laid to rest :)

1. What are electrons in 4 dimensions?

Electrons in 4 dimensions are hypothetical particles that exist in a theoretical four-dimensional space. This is in contrast to the three-dimensional space that we perceive in our everyday lives.

2. How are electrons in 4 dimensions different from regular electrons?

Electrons in 4 dimensions behave differently from regular electrons because they exist in a higher dimension. This means they may have different properties and behaviors that we are not yet able to fully understand or observe in our three-dimensional world.

3. Why are electrons in 4 dimensions important in science?

Electrons in 4 dimensions are important in science because they can help us better understand the fundamental nature of particles and the universe. They also have potential applications in fields such as quantum computing and high-energy physics.

4. Can we observe electrons in 4 dimensions?

Currently, we do not have the technology or equipment to directly observe electrons in 4 dimensions. However, scientists have developed mathematical models and theories to study their behavior and properties.

5. How does the concept of 4 dimensions impact our understanding of the universe?

The concept of 4 dimensions challenges our traditional understanding of the universe and opens up new possibilities for how matter and energy behave. It also raises questions about the existence of other dimensions and the true nature of reality.