Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Electrons in a beam of televison tube

1. Mar 18, 2005 #1
    Ive got a question where I have to find the acceleration of a single electron due to the magnetic field. Now here is what I did. I tired to find Velocity using KE = .5mv^2. Solving for v. Then knowing that F=qvB and F=ma I made the equation qvb/m=a. But I cant get this to work. Is there some thing that I'm doing wrong. This is a related question with the numbers in it:
    I think my problem is with converting uT to T for the electric field. And converting my 24 keV to J. Anyone have some help. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2005 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your approach is correct except that the force is:

[tex]\vec F = q\vec v \times \vec B = qvBsin\theta[/tex]

What is the angle of [itex]\vec v [/itex] to the magnetic field?[itex]\vec B[/itex] Why not show us what you have done? It is a little hard to figure out where you may have gone wrong otherwise.

AM

4. Mar 18, 2005 #3
    Well, the vertical component of B was given in the problem, so I don't think you need to do the cross product. You're probably just having problems with unit converstions.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook