Electrons in a nonmoving conductor and non-varying magnetic field

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Lenz's law and its relation to the magnetic fields of electrons in a stationary conductor. The question is raised about whether the magnetic field of a stationary bar magnet can affect the electrons in a conductor and potentially create a current. The answer is that there could be a potential difference across the coil, but this does not create an energy source. The conversation also touches on the concept of the Pauli equation and its role in understanding the effects of magnetic fields on electrons. Ultimately, it is concluded that there will not be any circulation of electrons unless work is done.
PainterGuy
TL;DR Summary
Do the magnetic field of electrons in a stationary conductor interfere with the non-varying magnetic field around them?
Hi,

My understanding of quantum physics is very basic. I have read that each electron has its own magnetic field; in other words, each electron acts like a mini bar magnet. I was reading about Lenz's law and an unrelated point started confusing me.

I was reading this text about Lenz's law: https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img921/1874/nUBPY6.jpg
Source: https://www.electrical4u.com/lenz-law-of-electromagnetic-induction/

If each electron really acts like a mini magnet then a stationary bar magnet situated close to the coil should attract the coil electrons by aligning their magnetic fields and create potential difference across the coil. I know what I'm saying cannot be true because it would result into a free energy generator. But this also means that the way I'm picturing electrons as mini bar magnets is also wrong. Does the bar magnet, or non-varying magnetic field in general, affect the electrons in a stationary conductor in any way?

Thank you for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course it does. Have a look at the Pauli equation!

Likes PainterGuy
PainterGuy said:
Summary: Do the magnetic field of electrons in a stationary conductor interfere with the non-varying magnetic field around them?

[]
If each electron really acts like a mini magnet then a stationary bar magnet situated close to the coil should attract the coil electrons by aligning their magnetic fields and create potential difference across the coil.

[]
Thank you for your help!
Threre could be a PD across the ends of the coil but that does not make an energy source. Of course if the magnet and coil move relative to each other then a current could exist and that can do work.

Likes PainterGuy
Thank you!

vanhees71 said:
Of course it does. Have a look at the Pauli equation!

I did have a look on it, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pauli_equation, but couldn't understand it. Could you please tell me what it says in the context of my question? How does magnetic field affect the electrons?

Mentz114 said:
Threre could be a PD across the ends of the coil but that does not make an energy source. Of course if the magnet and coil move relative to each other then a current could exist and that can do work.

So, it's correct that a stationary bar magnet situated close to the coil should attract the coil electrons by aligning their magnetic fields and create potential difference across the coil. In my humble opinion, if it could create potential difference, PD, then once the circuit is completed, the current should flow. It would result into a free energy generator. Where am I having it wrong?

Thank you for your help.

PainterGuy said:
Thank you!
I did have a look on it, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pauli_equation, but couldn't understand it. Could you please tell me what it says in the context of my question? How does magnetic field affect the electrons?
So, it's correct that a stationary bar magnet situated close to the coil should attract the coil electrons by aligning their magnetic fields and create potential difference across the coil. In my humble opinion, if it could create potential difference, PD, then once the circuit is completed, the current should flow. It would result into a free energy generator. Where am I having it wrong?

Thank you for your help.
How do you know that aligning spins alters the charge distribution ?
Even if you were correct in this, the situation you describe could result only in a static charge difference which will only produce a momentary discharge current.

Thank you!

Mentz114 said:
How do you know that aligning spins alters the charge distribution ?

In the picture below, the coil has free electrons and each electron acts like mini magnet. The bar magnet would try to align the south pole of electrons toward its north pole, and it would result into a potential difference or current if the circuit is complete. If the circuit is not complete then the bar magnet would attract as much electrons as it could until the electrostatic repulsion/attraction balance the outward attraction force from the bar magnet.

Picture #1:
1573180570779.png

Picture #2:
1573186213622.png

Mentz114 said:
Even if you were correct in this, the situation you describe could result only in a static charge difference which will only produce a momentary discharge current.

If I'm correct, it would be a constant continuous current because the bar magnet would keep on attracting the electrons and the electrons would start circulating in the circuit.

Thank you for your time and help!

PainterGuy said:
Thank you!
In the picture below, the coil has free electrons and each electron acts like mini magnet. The bar magnet would try to align the south pole of electrons toward its north pole, and it would result into a potential difference or current if the circuit is complete. If the circuit is not complete then the bar magnet would attract as much electrons as it could until the electrostatic repulsion/attraction balance the outward attraction force from the bar magnet.

Picture #1:
View attachment 252542

Picture #2:
View attachment 252544
If I'm correct, it would be a constant continuous current because the bar magnet would keep on attracting the electrons and the electrons would start circulating in the circuit.

Thank you for your time and help!
##{\displaystyle {\mathcal {E}}=-{\frac {\mathrm {d} \Phi _{B}}{\mathrm {d} t}},}##

There will not be any circulation unless there is work done.
I have nothing further to say.

Last edited:
Likes PainterGuy

1. What are electrons in a nonmoving conductor and non-varying magnetic field?

Electrons in a nonmoving conductor and non-varying magnetic field refer to the behavior of electrons in a material that is not moving and is not subjected to any changes in the surrounding magnetic field. In this scenario, the electrons follow a predictable path and do not experience any force due to the magnetic field.

2. How do electrons behave in a nonmoving conductor and non-varying magnetic field?

In a nonmoving conductor and non-varying magnetic field, electrons move in a straight line at a constant speed. They do not experience any force or acceleration due to the magnetic field, and their motion is not affected by the presence of the magnetic field.

3. What is the role of the magnetic field in a nonmoving conductor?

The magnetic field in a nonmoving conductor does not play a significant role in the behavior of electrons. It does not exert any force on the electrons, and their motion is not affected by the presence of the magnetic field. The magnetic field only becomes significant when there is relative motion between the conductor and the magnetic field.

4. How does the behavior of electrons in a nonmoving conductor differ from that in a moving conductor?

In a nonmoving conductor, electrons move in a straight line at a constant speed, while in a moving conductor, they experience a force due to the magnetic field and follow a curved path. The motion of electrons in a moving conductor is affected by the velocity of the conductor relative to the magnetic field.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding electrons in a nonmoving conductor and non-varying magnetic field?

Understanding the behavior of electrons in a nonmoving conductor and non-varying magnetic field is essential in various applications, such as designing electrical circuits and motors. It also helps in understanding the principles of electromagnetic induction, which is the basis for many technologies, including generators and transformers.