Can Photoelectrons Overcome Electric and Magnetic Fields in a Capacitor?

In summary, the conversation discusses the conditions under which an electron emitted from one plate of a parallel-plate capacitor can reach the other plate. By equating the kinetic energy required to overcome the electric field between the plates with the work done by the electric field, an equation is derived that determines the minimum potential difference needed for the electron to reach the positive plate. Errors in calculations are pointed out and corrected.
Keano16

Homework Statement

Photoelectrons are emitted with negligible initial velocity from one plate of a parallel-plate capacitor which is at zero potential. The other plate is held at a potential +V and the capacitor is in a uniform magnetic field of flux density B parallel to the plane of the plates. Show that no electron can reach the positive plate if V is less than eD2B2/(2m) where D is the separation of the plates.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What I have tried to do is find the minimum amount of energy required to go from one plate to another. Equating the kinetic energy required to overcome this E-field between the plates, I have done:

1/2*m*v2=eV

Substituting v=E/B (E and Bi fields are perpendicular), and E=V/D

I get V=2eD2B2/m

Which means I am a factor 4 higher than the required answer. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. Your approach is on the right track, but there are a few errors in your calculations.

Firstly, the equation 1/2*m*v^2 = eV is correct, but the expression for v is incorrect. The correct expression for the velocity of an electron in a uniform magnetic field is v = E/B, where E is the electric field between the plates. In this case, the electric field is not equal to V/D, but rather V/(D/2), because the plates are parallel and the potential difference is shared between the two plates.

Secondly, when substituting v = E/B into the kinetic energy equation, you need to use the correct expression for E as mentioned above. So the equation becomes 1/2*m*(V/(D/2))^2 = eV.

Finally, to get the minimum potential difference required for the electron to reach the positive plate, you need to set the kinetic energy equal to the work done by the electric field, which is eV. So the final equation becomes 1/2*m*(V/(D/2))^2 = eV, which can be rearranged to V = eD^2B^2/(2m).

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.[Your Title/Position]

1. What are electrons?

Electrons are subatomic particles that carry a negative charge and are found in the outer shells of atoms. They are essential for electricity and are also involved in chemical bonding.

2. What is an E-M field?

An E-M field, or electromagnetic field, is a physical field that is created by the presence of electrically charged particles. It is responsible for the forces of electricity and magnetism.

3. How do electrons interact with an E-M field?

Electrons interact with an E-M field through the electromagnetic force, which causes them to either attract or repel from the field. This interaction is the basis for many phenomena such as electricity, magnetism, and light.

4. What is the relationship between electrons and energy in an E-M field?

In an E-M field, electrons can gain or lose energy through interactions with the field. This can result in the movement of electrons, such as in the flow of electricity, or the emission of light energy.

5. How do scientists study electrons in an E-M field?

Scientists use various techniques such as spectroscopy, microscopy, and computational simulations to study the behavior of electrons in an E-M field. These methods allow for a better understanding of the properties and interactions of electrons in different situations.