Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron's spin

1. Jun 11, 2012 #1
    Hi friends I've a big andu here.
    Electron revolts around the nucleus in the circular path. Its due to the force between them.
    Why the electron spins around its own axis?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2012 #2

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

Although a bound electron has both spin and orbital angular momentum, it neither travels in a circular path around the nucleus nor spins around its own axis (for that matter, it doesn't even have an axis to spin around).

If you want to know about the spin and orbital angular momentum of an electron, you have to use the quantum mechanical formalism and go with the answers that formalism produces; there is nothing more there, at least that we've been able to find in the last century of looking.

4. Jun 12, 2012 #3
    "Why the electron spins around its own axis?"
    If you are looking for an underlying "mechanism" or something, as far as we know there is none.
    People in quantum field theory can show that particles (quantum fields) *may have* a spin, i.e. spin is not forbidden by special relativity and the rules of quantum mechanics.
    But why there actually *is* something like a spin (i.e., why this possibility is actually realized in nature), nobody knows - physics is not very good at answering "why"-questions, we do much better with "how"-questions.

5. Jun 12, 2012 #4

No, the electrons do not really revolve around the nucleus, and it's not because of forces between them. Their 'movement' can only be modelled as probability distributions around the nucleus. Why the electron spins around its own axis - well the electron doesn't have a structure(as far is currently known) so all it does is taken to be fundamental and can only be described(it's not understood in terms of more basic mechanisms).
    Electron spin is responsible for magnetism, so it's an essential feature of our reality. Why it spins is a metaphysical question.

6. Jun 13, 2012 #5
    can Any1 suggest me a book for quantum physics which has a deep study inside it along with a bit easy language to understand?

7. Jun 14, 2012 #6
    I think Griffiths is the easiest that I've seen. It still requires a bit of Linear Algebra and DiffEq's both ordinary and partial. I don't know of any others "real" quantum books that are less formal.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook