How do I calculate the force on a charged particle in an electric field?

• Thread starter ghostbuster25
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electrons
In summary, the charge of an electron is just that, a unit of charge. If you have 4 times the charge of one electron, you have 4*e of charge. The force is small, since the charge is very small. To put it in proportion, let's look at the mass of the electron and the acceleration it experiences as a result of the electric field.
ghostbuster25
I have a homework question with regards to a charged particle in an electric field.
The particle has a charge of -4e
The field is constant at 45000 N C^1

For this i have been using the equation F_el= q E(r)

The trouble i have been having is trying to work out -4e in Coloumbs.
I know -e=1.602 * 10^-19 coloumbs but is it as simple as 4 * 1.602 * 10^-19?
It just seems to give me a really tiny force in Newtons. I know its only a small particle but something tells me its just not right.

Any help if I am going the right or wrong way would be much appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Yep. The charge of an electron is just that, a unit of charge. If you have 4 times the charge of one electron, you have 4*e of charge.

The force is small, since the charge is very small.
To put it in proportion, let's look at the mass of the electron and the acceleration it experiences as a result of the electric field. You should note, that the field we're dealing with here is MASSIVE in terms of laboratory fields.

Writing out Newton's Second Law for a stationary electron (Ignoring the directions of force, acceleration and field):

[tex]F=ma[/tex]

[tex]F=qE[/tex]

[tex]qE=ma[/tex]

[tex]a=\frac{q}{m}E[/tex]

[tex]m=9.1\cdot 10^{-31} kg[/tex]

[tex]q=1.6\cdot 10^{-19} C[/tex]

[tex]E=45,000 \frac{N}{C}[/tex]

[tex]a=7.9\cdot 10^{15} \frac{m}{s^2}[/tex]

That force doesn't seem too tiny now, does it?

Thanks for your quick reply. I agree it is a massive force and am a bit worried about my previous calculations now.

The field is produced by a fixed charge of 2.00*10^-11C at a diastance of 2mm

I used the equation for the field
E(r) = Q/ 4pi*E0*r^2

which is electric field at distance r is equal to point charge Q divded by 4pi * the value for the quantity of the permittivity of free space (9*10^9) *( 2.00*10^-3)^2

I arranged to equal 9*10^9 * Q/r^2

That gave me 45000 N C^-1

I hope that makes sense :)

1. What is the relationship between electrons and coulombs?

The relationship between electrons and coulombs is that one electron has a charge of -1 coulomb. This means that the charge of an electron is equal in magnitude but opposite in sign to one coulomb.

2. How are electrons and coulombs measured?

Electrons are typically measured in units of Coulombs (C) or in multiples of Coulombs such as milliCoulombs (mC) or microCoulombs (μC). The charge of an electron is represented by the elementary charge, which is equal to approximately 1.602 x 10^-19 Coulombs.

3. How does the movement of electrons affect the number of coulombs?

The movement of electrons does not affect the number of coulombs. Coulombs are a unit of measurement for electric charge and remain constant regardless of the movement of electrons. However, the amount of charge transferred can vary depending on the number of electrons involved in the movement.

4. What is the significance of electrons to coulombs in electricity?

The relationship between electrons and coulombs is significant in electricity because it helps us understand and measure the flow of electric charge. Electrons carry charge and the number of coulombs determines the amount of charge being transferred, which is essential in understanding and calculating electric current.

5. Can electrons and coulombs be created or destroyed?

No, electrons and coulombs cannot be created or destroyed. According to the law of conservation of charge, the total amount of charge in a closed system remains constant. This means that while electrons can be transferred from one object to another, the total charge remains the same.