Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Electrons to coloumbs

1. Feb 19, 2010 #1
    I have a homework question with regards to a charged particle in an electric field.
    The particle has a charge of -4e
    The field is constant at 45000 N C^1

For this i have been using the equation F_el= q E(r)

The trouble i have been having is trying to work out -4e in Coloumbs.
    I know -e=1.602 * 10^-19 coloumbs but is it as simple as 4 * 1.602 * 10^-19?
    It just seems to give me a really tiny force in Newtons. I know its only a small particle but something tells me its just not right.

Any help if im going the right or wrong way would be much appreciated :)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2010 #2
    Yep. The charge of an electron is just that, a unit of charge. If you have 4 times the charge of one electron, you have 4*e of charge.

The force is small, since the charge is very small.
    To put it in proportion, let's look at the mass of the electron and the acceleration it experiences as a result of the electric field. You should note, that the field we're dealing with here is MASSIVE in terms of laboratory fields.

Writing out Newton's Second Law for a stationary electron (Ignoring the directions of force, acceleration and field):

[tex]F=ma[/tex]

[tex]F=qE[/tex]

[tex]qE=ma[/tex]

[tex]a=\frac{q}{m}E[/tex]

[tex]m=9.1\cdot 10^{-31} kg[/tex]

[tex]q=1.6\cdot 10^{-19} C[/tex]

[tex]E=45,000 \frac{N}{C}[/tex]

[tex]a=7.9\cdot 10^{15} \frac{m}{s^2}[/tex]

That force doesn't seem too tiny now, does it?

4. Feb 19, 2010 #3
    Thanks for your quick reply. I agree it is a massive force and am a bit worried about my previous calculations now.

The field is produced by a fixed charge of 2.00*10^-11C at a diastance of 2mm

I used the equation for the field
    E(r) = Q/ 4pi*E0*r^2

which is electric field at distance r is equal to point charge Q divded by 4pi * the value for the quantity of the permittivity of free space (9*10^9) *( 2.00*10^-3)^2

I arranged to equal 9*10^9 * Q/r^2

That gave me 45000 N C^-1

I hope that makes sense :)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook