1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Electrons to coloumbs

1. Feb 19, 2010 #1
    I have a homework question with regards to a charged particle in an electric field.
    The particle has a charge of -4e
    The field is constant at 45000 N C^1

For this i have been using the equation F_el= q E(r)

The trouble i have been having is trying to work out -4e in Coloumbs.
    I know -e=1.602 * 10^-19 coloumbs but is it as simple as 4 * 1.602 * 10^-19?
    It just seems to give me a really tiny force in Newtons. I know its only a small particle but something tells me its just not right.

Any help if im going the right or wrong way would be much appreciated :)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2010 #2
    Yep. The charge of an electron is just that, a unit of charge. If you have 4 times the charge of one electron, you have 4*e of charge.

The force is small, since the charge is very small.
    To put it in proportion, let's look at the mass of the electron and the acceleration it experiences as a result of the electric field. You should note, that the field we're dealing with here is MASSIVE in terms of laboratory fields.

Writing out Newton's Second Law for a stationary electron (Ignoring the directions of force, acceleration and field):

[tex]F=ma[/tex]

[tex]F=qE[/tex]

[tex]qE=ma[/tex]

[tex]a=\frac{q}{m}E[/tex]

[tex]m=9.1\cdot 10^{-31} kg[/tex]

[tex]q=1.6\cdot 10^{-19} C[/tex]

[tex]E=45,000 \frac{N}{C}[/tex]

[tex]a=7.9\cdot 10^{15} \frac{m}{s^2}[/tex]

That force doesn't seem too tiny now, does it?

4. Feb 19, 2010 #3
    Thanks for your quick reply. I agree it is a massive force and am a bit worried about my previous calculations now.

The field is produced by a fixed charge of 2.00*10^-11C at a diastance of 2mm

I used the equation for the field
    E(r) = Q/ 4pi*E0*r^2

which is electric field at distance r is equal to point charge Q divded by 4pi * the value for the quantity of the permittivity of free space (9*10^9) *( 2.00*10^-3)^2

I arranged to equal 9*10^9 * Q/r^2

That gave me 45000 N C^-1

I hope that makes sense :)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook