1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron's velocity

1. Mar 11, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two thin cylindrical shells, respectively with radius ##R_1 = 12 cm## and ##R_2 = 20 cm## and height ##D = 100 m##, are concentric and characterized by a charge density ##\lambda_1 = -0.38 \frac{\mu C}{m}##, for the internal cylinder, and ##\lambda_2 = 0.32 \frac{\mu C}{m}##, for the external one. An electron (##m_e = 9.1 \cdot 10^{-31} kg## and a charge ##e = 1.6 \cdot 10^{-19} C##) is released stationary from the internal cylinder's surface; what is the velocity when it reaches the other cylinder?

2. Relevant equations
    Gauss Teorem
    ##\Phi_S (\vec E_0) = \int_S \vec E_0 \cdot d\vec S = \frac{Q}{\epsilon_0}##
    and
    ##a = \frac{q}{m}E##

3. The attempt at a solution
    So, I started by calculating the electric field on both the cylinders.
    ##\Phi_S (\vec E_1) = \int_S \vec E_1 \cdot d\vec S = E_1 2 \pi r D = \frac{\lambda_1 D}{\epsilon_0}##
    so
    ##E_1 = \frac{\lambda_1}{2 \pi r \epsilon_0}##
    Same thing for the other one.
    ##E_2 = \frac{\lambda_2}{2 \pi r \epsilon_0}##

At this point I should calculate the velocity starting from the acceleration ##a = \frac{e}{m_e}E##, but I'm blocked here. The ##E## in the acceleration is the "total" electric field or it is ##E_2## since the electron is now moving inside the external cylinder?
    I know there is this other equation:
    ##v = \sqrt{\frac{2q(V_1 - V_2)}{m}}##
    But in this case I should calculate the two electric potential, which would be:
    ##\int_A^B \vec E_0 \cdot d\vec l = V(A) - V(B)##
    with ##A## being the internal cylinder and ##B## the other one.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Working with the potential is the easiest approach here.

What is the field inside a long cylinder with a constant surface charge? (Just the field from this surface charge)

4. Mar 11, 2016 #3
    It should be ##E = \frac{\sigma R_2}{\epsilon_0 r}##, right?

5. Mar 11, 2016 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Inside the cylinder?
    So at r=0 you have infinite field strength?

6. Mar 11, 2016 #5
    I did a drawing of the exercise, just to be sure I'm getting this right.
    I used Gauss Theorem to get that. I did like this:
    ##\Phi_s (E) = \int_S \vec E \cdot d \vec S = E 2 \pi r D = \frac{\sigma 2 \pi R_2 D}{\epsilon_0}##
    then
    ##E 2 \pi r D = \frac{\sigma 2 \pi R_2 D}{\epsilon_0}##
    ##E = \frac{\sigma 2 \pi R_2 D}{\epsilon_0 2 \pi r D}##
    ##E = \frac{\sigma R_2}{\epsilon_0 r}##
    so I think yes. Unless I got something wrong.

Attached Files:

7. Mar 11, 2016 #6

mfb

2016 Award

For Gauß theorem, you need the charge enclosed by the area you are integrating over. What is the charge in a smaller cylinder inside a charged cylinder?

8. Mar 12, 2016 #7
    I'm guessing it should be smaller? Because the charged cylinder act like some kind of insulator to the other one inside?
    About the area, I should do something like this then: ##E = \int_{R_1}^{R_2} \frac{\sigma R_2}{\epsilon_0 R_1}##
    With ##R_1## and ##R_2## being the two points describing the area.

9. Mar 12, 2016 #8

mfb

2016 Award

Forget about the two cylinders for a moment, the problem is earlier.

What is the field inside a single spherical shell with a constant surface charge?

What is the field inside a single cylinder with a constant surface charge?

10. Mar 12, 2016 #9
    ##\vec E = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{Q}{r^2}##
    with ##\sigma = \frac{Q}{4 \pi r^2}## we have then
    ##\vec E = \frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_0}##

##\vec E = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{Q}{r^2}##
    with ##\sigma = \frac{Q}{2 \pi r h}## we have then
    ##\vec E = \frac{\sigma h}{2 r \epsilon_0}##

Is this what you asked for?

11. Mar 12, 2016 #10

mfb

2016 Award

Where does that formula come from and what does it calculate?

It does not calculate the electric field inside anything. The right side is also not a vector, so writing E as vector at the left side is not right.

12. Mar 12, 2016 #11
    Oh, I'm sorry about the vector thingy.
    I know this formula:
    ##\vec E_0 (\vec r) = \frac {1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \int \frac{\sigma(x', y', z')(\vec r - \vec r')}{|\vec r - \vec r'|^3}dS'## which is just a general way(not only for constant surface charge) and I thought that since ##dq = \sigma(x, y, z) dS## it would end up with the one I wrote (##E_0 = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{Q}{r^2}##). Is this not correct?

13. Mar 12, 2016 #12

mfb

2016 Award

It is not correct.
    What would r even be there? The position where you want to evaluate the field, or the radius of the sphere?

Anyway, let's stay at the sphere: if it has a radius R, what is the electric field at a radius r where r<R?
    You can use Gauß law, but don't blindly plug numbers into a random formula. Think what the formula is doing when, and what the meaning of its components is.

14. Mar 12, 2016 #13
    ##r## is the position where I want to evaluate the field.

Okay, in ##r < R## we have a ##Q = \sigma 4 \pi r^2##
    using Gauß law we have
    ##\Phi = \frac{Q}{\epsilon_0}##
    which becomes
    ##E 4 \pi r^2 = \frac{\sigma 4 \pi r^2}{\epsilon_0}##
    ##E = \frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_0}##

15. Mar 12, 2016 #14

mfb

2016 Award

Where would that charge be? All the charge is at the spherical shell, at radius R. There is nothing at smaller radii.

16. Mar 12, 2016 #15
    Oh! Because we are talking about surface charge and not volume charge. Because if it was a volume charge then it would have a charge inside the sphere and so it would have ##Q = \rho \frac{4}{3} \pi r^3##, right?

17. Mar 12, 2016 #16

mfb

2016 Award

If it would be a volume charge, yes, but it is not.

18. Mar 12, 2016 #17
    So, going back to what you asked me, for ##r < R## the field would be ##E = 0## inside the sphere and ##E = \frac{\sigma R^2}{\epsilon_0 r^2}## on the surface, right?

19. Mar 12, 2016 #18

mfb

2016 Award

Directly at the surface the field is not well-defined, but outside, yes.
    Inside it is zero, right.

So going back to the cylinders: does the charge from the outer cylinder matter for the field inside?

20. Mar 12, 2016 #19
    No, it doesn't matter. Only the charge inside matter. This means I only have to calculate the field inside the outer cylinder(which it is the field outside the internal cylinder) ##E_1##, but I have the linear charge density ##\lambda_1## and ##\lambda_2##, not the surface charge, right?

21. Mar 12, 2016 #20

mfb

2016 Award

You have the surface charge of the inner cylinder, but a single charged line along its symmetry axis would produce the same field.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted