Electron's Velocity: Calculating w/ Gauss' Thm

• Thread starter Kernul
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary: The electric field at a radius r where r<R isE r = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \int \frac{\sigma(x', y', z')}{|\vec r - \vec r'|^3}dS'
Kernul

Homework Statement

Two thin cylindrical shells, respectively with radius ##R_1 = 12 cm## and ##R_2 = 20 cm## and height ##D = 100 m##, are concentric and characterized by a charge density ##\lambda_1 = -0.38 \frac{\mu C}{m}##, for the internal cylinder, and ##\lambda_2 = 0.32 \frac{\mu C}{m}##, for the external one. An electron (##m_e = 9.1 \cdot 10^{-31} kg## and a charge ##e = 1.6 \cdot 10^{-19} C##) is released stationary from the internal cylinder's surface; what is the velocity when it reaches the other cylinder?

Homework Equations

Gauss Teorem
##\Phi_S (\vec E_0) = \int_S \vec E_0 \cdot d\vec S = \frac{Q}{\epsilon_0}##
and
##a = \frac{q}{m}E##

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I started by calculating the electric field on both the cylinders.
##\Phi_S (\vec E_1) = \int_S \vec E_1 \cdot d\vec S = E_1 2 \pi r D = \frac{\lambda_1 D}{\epsilon_0}##
so
##E_1 = \frac{\lambda_1}{2 \pi r \epsilon_0}##
Same thing for the other one.
##E_2 = \frac{\lambda_2}{2 \pi r \epsilon_0}##

At this point I should calculate the velocity starting from the acceleration ##a = \frac{e}{m_e}E##, but I'm blocked here. The ##E## in the acceleration is the "total" electric field or it is ##E_2## since the electron is now moving inside the external cylinder?
I know there is this other equation:
##v = \sqrt{\frac{2q(V_1 - V_2)}{m}}##
But in this case I should calculate the two electric potential, which would be:
##\int_A^B \vec E_0 \cdot d\vec l = V(A) - V(B)##
with ##A## being the internal cylinder and ##B## the other one.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Working with the potential is the easiest approach here.

What is the field inside a long cylinder with a constant surface charge? (Just the field from this surface charge)

It should be ##E = \frac{\sigma R_2}{\epsilon_0 r}##, right?

Inside the cylinder?
So at r=0 you have infinite field strength?

I did a drawing of the exercise, just to be sure I'm getting this right.
I used Gauss Theorem to get that. I did like this:
##\Phi_s (E) = \int_S \vec E \cdot d \vec S = E 2 \pi r D = \frac{\sigma 2 \pi R_2 D}{\epsilon_0}##
then
##E 2 \pi r D = \frac{\sigma 2 \pi R_2 D}{\epsilon_0}##
##E = \frac{\sigma 2 \pi R_2 D}{\epsilon_0 2 \pi r D}##
##E = \frac{\sigma R_2}{\epsilon_0 r}##
so I think yes. Unless I got something wrong.

Attachments

• Image.png
    Image.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 274
For Gauß theorem, you need the charge enclosed by the area you are integrating over. What is the charge in a smaller cylinder inside a charged cylinder?

I'm guessing it should be smaller? Because the charged cylinder act like some kind of insulator to the other one inside?
About the area, I should do something like this then: ##E = \int_{R_1}^{R_2} \frac{\sigma R_2}{\epsilon_0 R_1}##
With ##R_1## and ##R_2## being the two points describing the area.

Kernul said:
Because the charged cylinder act like some kind of insulator to the other one inside?
Forget about the two cylinders for a moment, the problem is earlier.

What is the field inside a single spherical shell with a constant surface charge?

What is the field inside a single cylinder with a constant surface charge?

mfb said:
What is the field inside a single spherical shell with a constant surface charge?
##\vec E = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{Q}{r^2}##
with ##\sigma = \frac{Q}{4 \pi r^2}## we have then
##\vec E = \frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_0}##

mfb said:
What is the field inside a single cylinder with a constant surface charge?
with ##\sigma = \frac{Q}{2 \pi r h}## we have then
##\vec E = \frac{\sigma h}{2 r \epsilon_0}##

Is this what you asked for?

Kernul said:
Where does that formula come from and what does it calculate?

It does not calculate the electric field inside anything. The right side is also not a vector, so writing E as vector at the left side is not right.

Oh, I'm sorry about the vector thingy.
I know this formula:
##\vec E_0 (\vec r) = \frac {1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \int \frac{\sigma(x', y', z')(\vec r - \vec r')}{|\vec r - \vec r'|^3}dS'## which is just a general way(not only for constant surface charge) and I thought that since ##dq = \sigma(x, y, z) dS## it would end up with the one I wrote (##E_0 = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{Q}{r^2}##). Is this not correct?

It is not correct.
What would r even be there? The position where you want to evaluate the field, or the radius of the sphere?

Anyway, let's stay at the sphere: if it has a radius R, what is the electric field at a radius r where r<R?
You can use Gauß law, but don't blindly plug numbers into a random formula. Think what the formula is doing when, and what the meaning of its components is.

mfb said:
What would r even be there? The position where you want to evaluate the field, or the radius of the sphere?
##r## is the position where I want to evaluate the field.

mfb said:
Anyway, let's stay at the sphere: if it has a radius R, what is the electric field at a radius r where r<R?
Okay, in ##r < R## we have a ##Q = \sigma 4 \pi r^2##
using Gauß law we have
##\Phi = \frac{Q}{\epsilon_0}##
which becomes
##E 4 \pi r^2 = \frac{\sigma 4 \pi r^2}{\epsilon_0}##
##E = \frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_0}##

Kernul said:
Okay, in ##r < R## we have a ##Q = \sigma 4 \pi r^2##
Where would that charge be? All the charge is at the spherical shell, at radius R. There is nothing at smaller radii.

Oh! Because we are talking about surface charge and not volume charge. Because if it was a volume charge then it would have a charge inside the sphere and so it would have ##Q = \rho \frac{4}{3} \pi r^3##, right?

If it would be a volume charge, yes, but it is not.

So, going back to what you asked me, for ##r < R## the field would be ##E = 0## inside the sphere and ##E = \frac{\sigma R^2}{\epsilon_0 r^2}## on the surface, right?

Directly at the surface the field is not well-defined, but outside, yes.
Inside it is zero, right.

So going back to the cylinders: does the charge from the outer cylinder matter for the field inside?

No, it doesn't matter. Only the charge inside matter. This means I only have to calculate the field inside the outer cylinder(which it is the field outside the internal cylinder) ##E_1##, but I have the linear charge density ##\lambda_1## and ##\lambda_2##, not the surface charge, right?

You have the surface charge of the inner cylinder, but a single charged line along its symmetry axis would produce the same field.

So it's okay to write this:
##Q_1 = \lambda_1 D##
##E_1 2 \pi r D = \frac{\lambda_1 D}{\epsilon_0}##
##E_1 = \frac{\lambda_1}{2 \pi r \epsilon_0}##
And I don't have to calculate ##E_2##, right?

Well, you know ##E_2=0##.

Good, now you have everything in place to calculate the velocity.

You said I should use the electric potential, right?
I know that ##a = \frac{qE}{m}##, which, in this case, is ##a = \frac{e E}{m_e}##
Using the kinetic energy we arrive at ##v = \sqrt{\frac{2e(V_1 - V_2)}{m_e}}##.
What I need then is ##V_1 - V_2##.
One thing that I know is that ##\int_A^B \vec E_0 \cdot d \vec l = V_0(A) - V_0(B)##, with ##A## and ##B## two points. In this case we could say that it's ##R_1## and ##R_2## the two points I want to calculate the electric potentials, right?
So, would it be something like this ##\int_{R_1}^{R_2} \vec E_0 \cdot d \vec l = V_0(R_1) - V_0(R_2)##?

Right. And you know E as function of radius.

So it would be something like this
##\int_{R_1}^{R_2} \frac{\lambda_1}{2 \pi r \epsilon_0} dl##
##\frac{\lambda_1}{2 \pi \epsilon_0} \int_{R_1}^{R_2} \frac{1}{r} dl##
##\frac{\lambda_1}{2 \pi \epsilon_0} (log|R_2| - log|R_1|)##
Is this correct? To me it's weird that there are logarithms.

It is correct, and you get logarithms, right.

Likes Kernul
Okay, thank you!
But why the problem gave me ##\lambda_2##? I didn't use it at all.

You also didn't use the length explicitely.
Are there other subproblems? You don't need them here (well, you indirectly used the length in assuming that the cylinder is very long).

No, there were no other subproblems. Maybe the professor put them to trick us.
Anyway, thank you very much! With you I understood a lot of things!

Likes mfb

1. What is the formula for calculating the velocity of an electron using Gauss' Theorem?

The formula for calculating the velocity of an electron using Gauss' Theorem is v = (k * Q) / r, where v is the velocity, k is a constant, Q is the charge of the electron, and r is the distance from the electron to the center of the charge distribution.

2. How does Gauss' Theorem relate to the calculation of an electron's velocity?

Gauss' Theorem is a mathematical principle that relates the electric field and the charge distribution of a system. By applying this theorem to the electric field around an electron, we can calculate its velocity.

3. Can Gauss' Theorem be used to calculate the velocity of any charged particle?

Yes, Gauss' Theorem can be used to calculate the velocity of any charged particle as long as the charge distribution is known and the electric field can be determined.

4. Is the velocity of an electron constant?

No, the velocity of an electron is not constant. It can change depending on the strength of the electric field it is in.

5. What is the unit of measurement for the velocity of an electron calculated using Gauss' Theorem?

The unit of measurement for the velocity of an electron calculated using Gauss' Theorem is meters per second (m/s).