Electrophilic addition of bromine

• Thread starter Clari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Addition
In summary, The bromine molecule approaches the pi electron cloud and then the bromide ion attacks the pi complex from the opposite side, resulting in a trans attack and the formation of a dibromo product. This is due to steric effects and the need to observe electron density.
Clari
Hi! I am stuck in revising the electrophilic addition of bromine across the alkene molecule... There are two sentences which really confuse me, I hope you can help me.

When a bromine molecule approaches the pi electron cloud of the C=C bond...the bromide ion then attacks the pi complex nucleophilically from a side opposite to the first bromine. This becomes known as a trans attack and the result is a dibromo product.

My question is why the bromide ion have to attach to the pi complex from a different side and not the same side so that leads to the cis attack?

Thanks in advance! :smile:

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Due to steric effects, you'll want to observe the electron density of this reaction.

Hi there! The reason why the bromide ion attacks the pi complex from a different side is due to the principle of stereoselectivity. In electrophilic addition reactions, the electrophile (in this case, the bromine molecule) typically adds to the alkene in a way that maximizes stability and avoids formation of high-energy intermediates. In the case of bromine addition, a trans attack allows for better overlap of the pi bond with the p-orbital of the bromine, leading to a more stable intermediate. A cis attack, on the other hand, would result in steric hindrance and a less stable intermediate. Therefore, the bromide ion prefers to attack from the opposite side, resulting in a trans product. I hope this helps clarify your confusion! Let me know if you have any other questions.

1. What is electrophilic addition of bromine?

Electrophilic addition of bromine is a type of organic reaction in which a bromine atom is added to an unsaturated bond, such as a double or triple bond, to form a single bond. This reaction is commonly used in organic synthesis to add a bromine atom to a molecule.

2. What is the mechanism of electrophilic addition of bromine?

The mechanism of electrophilic addition of bromine involves the first step of the bromine molecule being polarized by an electrophile, such as a proton or a Lewis acid. This forms a positively charged bromine atom, which then reacts with the double or triple bond to form a bromonium ion intermediate. Finally, the bromide ion acts as a nucleophile and attacks the bromonium ion, resulting in the addition of bromine to the molecule.

3. What are the conditions required for electrophilic addition of bromine to occur?

The conditions for electrophilic addition of bromine include a polar solvent, such as water, and the presence of an electrophile, such as a proton or a Lewis acid. The reaction also requires an unsaturated bond, such as a double or triple bond, and a source of bromine, such as elemental bromine or a bromine compound.

4. What are the applications of electrophilic addition of bromine?

Electrophilic addition of bromine is commonly used in organic synthesis to add a bromine atom to a molecule. This reaction can be used to create new functional groups, such as bromoalkanes, which can then be further modified for various applications. It is also used in the production of pharmaceuticals, plastics, and other industrial chemicals.

5. What are the limitations of electrophilic addition of bromine?

One limitation of electrophilic addition of bromine is that it only works on unsaturated bonds, such as double or triple bonds. It is also a highly exothermic reaction, which can be dangerous if not carefully controlled. Additionally, the use of elemental bromine can be hazardous and requires proper safety precautions.