Electrophoresis Imaging System

In summary, the conversation is about molecular biologists discussing the purchase of a new E.I.S. and a hood for their lab. They mention using the Alpha imager and its software from Alpha innotech corporation, which has been effective in replacing a darkroom protocol. They also mention occasional software conflicts with their computer hardware. One person mentions a helpful website for researching CCD cameras from various companies.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
For the molecular biologists:

We are thinking about buying a new E.I.S., right now we need a darkroom to take a picture of an agarose gel, so I am interested in one of those things with a hood that can be put on any table.

Do you have any suggestions? Which one do you use currently?

Biology news on Phys.org
Our department is using the Alpha imager and its software from Alpha innotech corporation. It does the job and beat a darkroom protocol and you can get good quality picture. We sometimes have problem with the software due to a conflict between the computer hardware and the AlphaImager.

Thank you Ian, I will look into that one.

I actually was pointed to a website: www.biocompare.com which is really helpfull in listing all the CCD camera's from a variety of companies, that will be my homework for tonight :)

1. What is an Electrophoresis Imaging System?

An Electrophoresis Imaging System is a laboratory equipment used to separate and visualize molecules based on their size and charge. It uses an electrical field to move charged particles through a gel matrix, and then captures an image of the separated molecules.

2. How does an Electrophoresis Imaging System work?

An Electrophoresis Imaging System works by applying an electrical field to a gel matrix containing samples of molecules. The molecules are separated based on their size and charge, with smaller and more negatively charged molecules moving faster towards the positive charge. The separated molecules can then be visualized using a camera or other imaging technology.

3. What is the purpose of using an Electrophoresis Imaging System?

The purpose of using an Electrophoresis Imaging System is to separate and visualize different molecules, such as DNA, RNA, and proteins, in a sample. This allows scientists to study the composition and characteristics of these molecules, which can provide valuable information for various research studies and experiments.

4. What are the different types of Electrophoresis Imaging Systems?

There are various types of Electrophoresis Imaging Systems, including agarose gel electrophoresis, polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis, and capillary electrophoresis. Each type differs in terms of the gel matrix used, the type of samples it can separate, and the level of resolution and sensitivity.

5. How is an Electrophoresis Imaging System used in research?

Electrophoresis Imaging Systems are commonly used in various research fields, such as genetics, molecular biology, and biochemistry. They can be used to analyze DNA fragments for genetic studies, separate and identify proteins for protein analysis, and detect and quantify specific molecules in a sample for biomarker discovery. They are also useful in drug discovery and development, as well as in diagnosing diseases.