Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrophoresis: SingleStrain vs DoubleStrain DNA chain speed

1. Mar 17, 2005 #1
    Why does single strain DNA moves slower then double strain DNA in gel electrophoresis?

I think that it is because single strain DNA has less electrical charge than double DNA helix, and single strained binds with H bonds uncharged molecules thus increasing it’s mass.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2005 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Single stranded DNA is relatively unstable nature; in the absence of a complementary strand, the single strand may experience intrastrand base pairing, resulting in loops and folds that give the single strand a unique 3D structure, regardless of its length. A single nucleotide change could dramatically affect the strand's mobility through a gel by altering the intrastrand base pairing and its resulting 3D conformation (Melcher, 2000).

4. Mar 18, 2005 #3
    Please excuse my bad language.

OK, forming secondary structure… I was thinking on Single stranded DNA in denaturated gel or denaturated Single stranded DNA (urea), which can not form intrastrand bonds.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?