Can electroplating Cu on gold improve adhesion?

• Thread starter Si14
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gold
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of poor adhesion between a 200nm Au seed layer and electroplated Cu. The question is raised about how to increase adhesion and whether depositing a layer of Cu before plating would help. The issue is resolved when the speaker realizes they made a mistake. The conversation also mentions that the process of EP Au on Cu is difficult to achieve. Precursors and pH levels are also mentioned as possible factors.
Si14
Hi all:

I have a 200nm Au seed layer. and I am electroplating Cu on that using a solution. but the result is not good. The adhesion between the electroplated copper and gold seed layer is very poor and it easily peels off.
1-I wonder how can I increase the adhesion between them?

2-Does depositing (e-beam evaporation) a layer of Cu on top of the Au seed layer before plating help?

Thank you very much.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Thank you MLSmateo.
Actually, I found the problem. The Cu-plating quality on Au is good. I made a mistake.
Yes, I have read somewhere that this process is verified, but the reverse process (EP Au on Cu) is very hard to realize.
Thanks again anyways.

1. What is electroplating?

Electroplating is a process in which a thin layer of one metal is deposited onto the surface of another metal through the use of an electric current.

2. Why is electroplating used to deposit Cu on gold?

Electroplating is commonly used to deposit Cu on gold because it allows for a precise and uniform layer of copper to be applied to the gold surface, providing improved durability, conductivity, and aesthetic appearance.

3. What are the steps involved in electroplating Cu on gold?

The steps involved in electroplating Cu on gold typically include cleaning and preparing the gold surface, creating an electrolyte solution, attaching the gold piece to a power source as the cathode, and immersing the gold piece and a copper anode in the electrolyte solution to facilitate the transfer of copper ions onto the gold surface.

4. What are the benefits of electroplating Cu on gold?

Electroplating Cu on gold provides several benefits, including improved durability and corrosion resistance, enhanced electrical conductivity, and the ability to change the color or finish of the gold surface. It also allows for intricate and precise designs to be achieved on the gold surface.

5. Are there any potential risks associated with electroplating Cu on gold?

There are some potential risks associated with electroplating Cu on gold, such as exposure to toxic chemicals in the electrolyte solution and the risk of electrical shock if proper safety precautions are not followed. It is important to follow proper safety protocols and use appropriate personal protective equipment when engaging in electroplating processes.