Electroscope Problem: Why the Foil Leaves were Unaffected by a Neutral Balloon

• Thread starter shadowfalcon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electroscope
In summary, when a fully charged electroscope is touched with a neutral balloon, the foil leaves of the electroscope remain unaffected. This is because the balloon is an insulator and does not allow for the transfer of charge. While one person thought it could be a conductor, the fact that there was no effect on the electroscope confirms that the balloon must be an insulator.
shadowfalcon
A fully charged electroscope is touched with a neutral balloon. It is observed that the foil leaves of the electroscope are unaffected when the electroscope is touched w/ the balloon.

Explain why the foil leaves were unaffected when the charged electroscope was touched by the neutral balloon.

In this problem, should the answer be because the balloon is an insulator? I think this because in order for there to be no effect, there must be no transfer of charge, and hence an insulator. My friend thinks otherwise.

Thanks.
:shy:

Physics news on Phys.org
shadowfalcon said:
A fully charged electroscope is touched with a neutral balloon. It is observed that the foil leaves of the electroscope are unaffected when the electroscope is touched w/ the balloon.

Explain why the foil leaves were unaffected when the charged electroscope was touched by the neutral balloon.

In this problem, should the answer be because the balloon is an insulator? I think this because in order for there to be no effect, there must be no transfer of charge, and hence an insulator. My friend thinks otherwise.

Thanks.
:shy:

I think you are right. Why does your friend think otherwise?

Ok thanks. My friend just thought it should be a conductor for some reason.

shadowfalcon said:
Ok thanks. My friend just thought it should be a conductor for some reason.

If it were a conductor (like if it were metallic) then there would be some charge transfer and the electroscope would be affected. But the problem says it isn't. Must be an insulator. Not sure what your friend was thinking.

I can explain that the foil leaves were unaffected because the neutral balloon did not have any excess charge to transfer to the electroscope. In order for the foil leaves to move, there needs to be a difference in charge between the electroscope and the object touching it. Since the balloon was neutral, it did not have any excess charge to transfer to the electroscope and therefore did not cause the foil leaves to move. This is not necessarily because the balloon is an insulator, but rather because it did not have any charge to transfer. If the balloon had been charged, even if it was an insulator, there would have been a transfer of charge and the foil leaves would have been affected. It is important to note that while insulators do not allow the flow of electricity, they can still hold a charge and transfer it to other objects.

What is an electroscope problem?

An electroscope problem refers to a physics problem that involves the use of an electroscope, which is a device used to detect the presence and magnitude of electric charge.

How does an electroscope work?

An electroscope works by using the principle of electrostatic induction. When an object with an electric charge comes near the electroscope, it induces a separation of charges within the electroscope, causing the leaves to repel each other.

What are some common applications of an electroscope?

Electroscope is commonly used in experiments and demonstrations to detect the presence and type of electric charge in objects. It is also used in industrial settings to monitor the levels of static electricity in machinery.

What are some factors that can affect the accuracy of an electroscope?

The accuracy of an electroscope can be affected by factors such as humidity, temperature, and external electric fields. These factors can cause the leaves of the electroscope to move even without the presence of an electric charge.

How can you troubleshoot an electroscope problem?

To troubleshoot an electroscope problem, you can check for any external electric fields or sources of interference. You can also try recalibrating the electroscope or using a different object with a known electric charge to test the device. If the problem persists, it may indicate a malfunction or damage in the electroscope itself.