1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electroscope problem

1. May 28, 2013 #1
    A fully charged electroscope is touched with a neutral balloon. It is observed that the foil leaves of the electroscope are unaffected when the electroscope is touched w/ the balloon.

Explain why the foil leaves were unaffected when the charged electroscope was touched by the neutral balloon.

In this problem, should the answer be because the balloon is an insulator? I think this because in order for there to be no effect, there must be no transfer of charge, and hence an insulator. My friend thinks otherwise.

Thanks.
    :shy:

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you are right. Why does your friend think otherwise?

4. May 28, 2013 #3
    Ok thanks. My friend just thought it should be a conductor for some reason.

5. May 28, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If it were a conductor (like if it were metallic) then there would be some charge transfer and the electroscope would be affected. But the problem says it isn't. Must be an insulator. Not sure what your friend was thinking.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted