Solving Electrostatics Doubt: Negative Charge on Ball

• Thread starter shrutiphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Doubt
In summary: When a positive charge is brought near the ball and it is grounded, a negative charge will be induced. The positive charge should flow into the ground, but since the switch is open, the negative charge will remain on the ball.
shrutiphysics

Homework Statement

A metal ball is connected to the ground with a wire via a switch. The switch is initially closed (i.e.the ball is connected to ground) while a charge +Q is brought close to the ball (but not touching). While the charge is near the ball, the switch is opened and then the charge is taken away. The charge on the ball is now

Homework Equations

i think the ball should accquire negative charge due to induction i.e -Q but as the switch is open the charge should flow to earth.so net charge should be zero or neutral.

The Attempt at a Solution

solution is negative charge on ball. please help me fiqure out.

Physics news on Phys.org
The ball is initially connected to ground by a wire. What happens to the +ve and -ve charges on the ball when a +ve charge is brought near it?

PS: If you don't know perhaps read up about lightning and how charges on things like church spires move when a charged cloud comes near,

shrutiphysics said:
solution is negative charge on ball.

While the switch is closed, and a positive charge is brought close to the ball, negative charge is attracted from ground into the ball.

Now you at first open the switch, and thus the negative charge is shut in. Then you remove the positive charge, not attracting the negative charge anymore, but the negative charge has nowhere to go and must remain in the ball.

Likes shrutiphysics
shrutiphysics said:

Homework Statement

A metal ball is connected to the ground with a wire via a switch. The switch is initially closed (i.e.the ball is connected to ground) while a charge +Q is brought close to the ball (but not touching). While the charge is near the ball, the switch is opened and then the charge is taken away. The charge on the ball is now

Homework Equations

i think the ball should accquire negative charge due to induction i.e -Q but as the switch is open the charge should flow to earth.so net charge should be zero or neutral.

I think there should be a negative charge on the sphere now. When +ve charge is brought near it and it is grounded, a -ve charge would be induced on it and the +ve charge should flow into ground.. So now it has a net -ve charge in the grounded state. After disconecting it from the ground, this -ve charge should remain on it.

Likes shrutiphysics
thanks i finally got i

Cnh1995 & Hesch..

Remember in the homework section of the forum we shouldn't just give people the answer - just hints so they can work out the answer themselves.

shrutiphysics said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

How can negative charge flow to Earth if the switch is open?

1. How does a negative charge on a ball affect its electrostatics?

The presence of a negative charge on a ball will create a repulsive force between the negative charge and any other negative charges in the surrounding space. This will also attract any positive charges in the area, causing the ball to potentially move or become charged.

2. Can a negative charge on a ball be neutralized?

Yes, a negative charge on a ball can be neutralized by introducing an equal amount of positive charge. This can be achieved through grounding the ball or using a conductive material to transfer the positive charge.

3. How does the distance between two negatively charged balls affect their electrostatics?

The electrostatic force between two negatively charged balls decreases as the distance between them increases. This is due to the inverse square law, which states that the force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the charges.

4. What is the formula for calculating the electrostatic force between two negatively charged balls?

The formula for calculating the electrostatic force between two negatively charged balls is: F = (k * q1 * q2) / r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the two balls, and r is the distance between them.

5. How does adding more negative charge to a ball affect its electrostatics?

Adding more negative charge to a ball will increase the repulsive force between the ball and other negatively charged objects in the surrounding space. This will also increase the attractive force with positive charges, potentially causing the ball to become more charged or move with greater force.