Can Electrostatic Induction Remove Dust Under an iPod Screen?

In summary, the conversation is about a person trying to remove dust from under their iPod screen without opening it. They suggest using electrostatic induction by rubbing a pen with their hair and approaching it to the screen, but it did not work. They ask if there is a way to improve their method or if there are any suggestions for removing the dust without opening the iPod. They also mention trying with compressed air but are unsure about the risk involved. The conversation also touches on the material of the screen (glass or plastic) and the potential risk of damaging the iPod's chip with electrostatic charge. In the end, they decide to use compressed air to remove the dust.
Kushal
hi... actually, i got dust under my ipod screen,,, I've been searching for was to remove it without getting it naked...

so i thought of electrostatic induction... i thought that, rbbing a pen with my hairs and then approaching it to my screen, the dust particles would be moving at least from the middle of the screen... I've tried it but with no success...

should it be actually working by theory... btw, the screen is abt 2mm thick.
is there a way to improve what I'm doing?? or is there any suggestion as to remove thye dust without opening the ipod...

Physics news on Phys.org
tr wth cmprssd r vntll, bt t r wn rsk

the plastic screen might be preveting it.
did you try to do anything about induction with a plastic layer in between? if ur charged object is not very strong it cannot overcome the plastic which holds nearly all the charges because

PLASTIC DOES NOT CONDUCT ELECTRICITY

hey lallbatros! was that english? lol i figured the try with compressed @$^&%^$*^ but try at your own risk??

could you just tell me in a way i'll understand! thnx

nope, the screen is of glass... and how can i increase the strength of the charged object...

Kushal said:
nope, the screen is of glass... and how can i increase the strength of the charged object...

u have an iPod with a glass screen? Is it the original cover or did u replace it with something else?

if it is the original one, I doubt that it is glass...

You might actually destroy the ipod's chip when exposing it to an electrostatic charge.

Just blow the dust with compressed air, that should take care of that.

now tat I'm a having a closer look, the screen seems like plastic! ooopss

and how does this compressed air method work? thnks

1. What is electrostatic attraction?

Electrostatic attraction is a force of attraction between two or more electrically charged objects. Similar charges repel each other, while opposite charges attract each other.

2. How does electrostatic attraction work?

Electrostatic attraction is based on the principle of electric charge. Objects with positive charges have a deficiency of electrons, while objects with negative charges have an excess of electrons. This charge imbalance creates an attractive force between the two objects.

3. What are some examples of electrostatic attraction?

One example of electrostatic attraction is the attraction between a positively charged balloon and a negatively charged wall. Another example is the attraction between a comb and hair after rubbing the comb against a wool sweater.

4. How is electrostatic attraction related to static electricity?

Electrostatic attraction is closely related to static electricity, as it is the force behind the movement of electrons from one object to another. Static electricity occurs when there is an imbalance of electric charges between two objects, resulting in electrostatic attraction between them.

5. How does distance affect electrostatic attraction?

The force of electrostatic attraction decreases as the distance between charged objects increases. This is known as the inverse square law, which states that the force between two objects is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.