1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrostatic Charge Experiment

1. Apr 29, 2012 #1
    Hello, I needed some help for my physics homework. The aim is to design an experiment that answers the question: Is the number of rubs of a piece of mica (that bag where you put documents to file them or to protect them, often made of plastic. Here is a Pic: http://images.segundamano.com.mx/2011/03/01/6057833/19405116.jpg [Broken] ) against a piece of wool directly proportional to the charge that it gains? The only thing I'm missing is a way to measure the charge, Could you give me a hand?
    Sincerely Gabriel De la Torre

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2012 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Don't know if this would be sufficiently sensitive, but:
    get an oscilloscope with a high input impedance (standard probes are Z = 10MΩ), charge your mica, set the sweep speed to something like 1 us/division, and record the trace: it should look like V0e-t/RC where R = 'scope input Z, C = capacitance between your mica and ground; then V0 = Q/C where Q is the charge you initially put on the mica. All units SI.

You find RC at the time point when the voltage is about 0.37V0.

Example: Z = 10MΩ, C = 1 pF, then RC = 10us = t at 0.37V0, and then Q = 1e-12/V0.

What I don't have a good feel for is how much charge you can get onto the mica. In order for the above to be feasible you would need V0 at least 10 mV (probably; depends on your scope sensitivity), so 1e-2V = Q/1e-12F or Q should be at least about 1e-14 C. That's about 62,000 electrons.

Good luck!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook