Electrostatics: Charged Energy & Beyond

In summary, the energy stored in an electrostatic field is the work done to make the charge configuration. When applying this formula to point charges, we find that the energy of a point charge becomes infinite. This is due to the continuous nature of charge, which means energy is stored indefinitely.
Sunny Singh
I am learning in Electrostatics that the work done to construct a charge configuration is ∑qV and when we assume that charge is not discrete but continuous we get the work done to be ∫E.Edv and hence we say that the energy stored in electrostatic field is ∫E.Edv. when applying this formula to point charges we find that the energy of a point charge becomes infinite (i don't know what to make of it). In the same way magnetostatic energy is ∫B.Bdv . So electromagnetic energy is basically the work done to make the charge configuration.My question is suppose there is no charge around but only EM field like in the case of light . Here too i can use the above formula to find energy but as there is no charge configuration and hence no energy supplied to make the charge configuration, from where do this energy comes in the field?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sunny Singh said:
I am learning in Electrostatics that the work done to construct a charge configuration is ∑qV and when we assume that charge is not discrete but continuous we get the work done to be ∫E.Edv and hence we say that the energy stored in electrostatic field is ∫E.Edv. when applying this formula to point charges we find that the energy of a point charge becomes infinite (i don't know what to make of it). In the same way magnetostatic energy is ∫B.Bdv . So electromagnetic energy is basically the work done to make the charge configuration.My question is suppose there is no charge around but only EM field like in the case of light . Here too i can use the above formula to find energy but as there is no charge configuration and hence no energy supplied to make the charge configuration, from where do this energy comes in the field?
First of all, electric field must be generated from some charge, near or far it is from the point you evaluate the field. Secondly, you don't need to know what generated that field: a region of space where a field is present has energy by itself, and mass too.

--
lightarrow

1. What is electrostatics?

Electrostatics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of electric charges at rest. It involves the behavior of stationary electric charges and the electric fields they create.

2. How do objects become charged?

Objects become charged when they gain or lose electrons, resulting in an imbalance of positive and negative charges. This can occur through friction, conduction, or induction.

3. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space where electrically charged objects experience a force. It is created by charged particles and can be either positive or negative.

4. What is the difference between conductors and insulators?

Conductors are materials that allow electric charges to move freely, whereas insulators do not allow charges to move easily. This is due to the difference in the number of free electrons in each material.

5. How does electrostatics relate to other branches of physics?

Electrostatics is closely related to other branches of physics, such as electromagnetism and quantum mechanics. It also has applications in various fields, including electronics, medicine, and engineering.