Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrostatic field

1. Jul 27, 2013 #1
    what is the work done by electric forces in moving a charge Q=1 nC from the origin to the point (1m, 1m, 1m) in the electrostatic field given by E=(x,y,z) = (x* (a sub x) + y^2*(a sub y) - (a sub z) V/m in the Cartesian coordinate system along the straight line joining two points?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi musabkheiry! welcome to pf! :wink:

show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

4. Jul 27, 2013 #3
    Hi tiny-tim

In fact i have to submit my assignment after 6 hours from now ....
    i tried to solve it .. and i don't know how to start to solve the question :( ... i don't want to get zero :( ... could you please help me

5. Jul 27, 2013 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

you must know something :confused:

what is the definition of work done ?

how would you apply it in a simple case?

what is it about this case that stops you?​

(btw, do you mean E = (x, y2, 1) V/m ?)

6. Jul 27, 2013 #5
    i guess first i need to calculate the net force for the whole system and then i can find the work done ,,, what is confuse me is .. E=(x^x+y^2y+z)

7. Jul 27, 2013 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

let's see, you wrote …
    i found that rather confusing, and i guessed that ax ay and az were meant to be the unit vectors in the x y and z directions

(and that "E=(x,y,z)" should have been "E(x,y,z)", ie the vector E as a function of x y and z: E = (Ex, Ey, Ez) = Exax + Eyay + Ezaz )

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook