Electrostatic Field: Work Done by Electric Forces

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of work done by electric forces in moving a charge Q=1 nC from the origin to a point in an electrostatic field. The field is given by E=(x,y,z) = (x* (a sub x) + y^2*(a sub y) - (a sub z) V/m in the Cartesian coordinate system. The participants discuss the definition of work done and how it can be applied in a simple case, as well as potential confusion regarding the representation of the electric field. The main focus is on finding the net force and using it to calculate the work done.
musabkheiry
what is the work done by electric forces in moving a charge Q=1 nC from the origin to the point (1m, 1m, 1m) in the electrostatic field given by E=(x,y,z) = (x* (a sub x) + y^2*(a sub y) - (a sub z) V/m in the Cartesian coordinate system along the straight line joining two points?

Engineering news on Phys.org
hi musabkheiry! welcome to pf! :wink:

show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

Hi tiny-tim

In fact i have to submit my assignment after 6 hours from now ...
i tried to solve it .. and i don't know how to start to solve the question :( ... i don't want to get zero :( ... could you please help me

you must know something :confused:

what is the definition of work done ?

how would you apply it in a simple case?

what is it about this case that stops you?​

(btw, do you mean E = (x, y2, 1) V/m ?)

i guess first i need to calculate the net force for the whole system and then i can find the work done ,,, what is confuse me is .. E=(x^x+y^2y+z)

musabkheiry said:
what is confuse me is .. E=(x^x+y^2y+z)

let's see, you wrote …
musabkheiry said:
E=(x,y,z) = (x* (a sub x) + y^2*(a sub y) - (a sub z) V/m

i found that rather confusing, and i guessed that ax ay and az were meant to be the unit vectors in the x y and z directions

(and that "E=(x,y,z)" should have been "E(x,y,z)", ie the vector E as a function of x y and z: E = (Ex, Ey, Ez) = Exax + Eyay + Ezaz )

What is an electrostatic field?

An electrostatic field is a region in space where electrically charged particles experience a force due to their electric charges. This force is described by Coulomb's law and is a fundamental force in nature.

How is work done by electric forces in an electrostatic field?

The work done by electric forces in an electrostatic field is the product of the magnitude of the electric force and the distance over which the force acts. This work is equal to the change in potential energy of a charged particle as it moves in the field.

What is the relationship between electric potential and work done in an electrostatic field?

The electric potential at a point in an electrostatic field is the amount of work done per unit charge to bring a small positive test charge from infinity to that point. In other words, electric potential is the work done per unit charge.

How does the work done by electric forces affect the behavior of charged particles in an electrostatic field?

The work done by electric forces determines the direction and magnitude of the electric field, which in turn affects the motion of charged particles in the field. If the work done is positive, the electric field will do work on the particle, causing it to accelerate in the direction of the field. If the work done is negative, the electric field will do work against the particle, slowing it down.

Can the work done by electric forces be negative?

Yes, the work done by electric forces can be negative if the electric field is opposing the motion of the charged particle. This can happen if the particle is moving in the opposite direction of the electric field, or if the electric field is causing the particle to slow down or stop.