Can an Electrostatic Fluid Accelerator inflate a balloon?

In summary, the conversation was about an idea to use an electrostatic fluid accelerator to inflate a balloon. The person asked for feedback on their concept and discussed details such as the type of fluid and electrodes to be used. Some concerns were raised about the practicality of using this method for electronics cooling. The conversation ended with the clarification that the idea was not for cooling, but rather for compressing air into a balloon using charged air in a small diameter tube with two electrodes of opposite polarity. Overall, the consensus was that this may not be a feasible concept.
smiddleton
Hey guys,
I am trying out an idea. I want to see if I can make an electrostatic fluid accelerator inflate a balloon. Attached is an image of a concept I came up with that works a little differently. Before I dive in, I was wondering if anyone on the forum could tell me if my concept might or might not work. Thanks in advance for the help.

Attachments

• EFA concept.jpg
    EFA concept.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 640
Physics news on Phys.org
If the end is closed, where does the air come from? What exactly is the "fluid" you're planning to use?
How exactly are the electrodes made? Are they on the outer side of an isolated cylinder?
Are the electrodes powered by a constant voltage or are they pulsed? How many volts and amperes can you supply?

In short, I don't think it's going to do anything at all. In particular I don't see a point in using more than 2 electrodes.

Might be difficult to get one to inflate a balloon but the principle of electrostatic air movers is well known :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrostatic_fluid_accelerator

Nidum said:
Might be difficult to get one to inflate a balloon but the principle of electrostatic air movers is well known :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrostatic_fluid_accelerator
Interesting. But from the article:
wikipedia said:
The basic principle has been understood for some time but only in recent years have seen developments in the design and manufacture of EFA devices that may allow them to find practical and economical applications, such as in micro-cooling of electronics components.
It seems like ionizing air to generate the air movement electrically and re-neutralizing the air before blowing it on electronic circuits would be risky. Seems like a good way to get ESD and Electrical Overstress issues introduced in the circuit (if the neutralization isn't real uniform and complete by the time the airstream hits the components)...

Agreed - doesn't seem like a good thing to use for electronics cooling !

Thanks for the feedback. It's not for electronics cooling. It's an idea for compressing air. There would be air in the tube, the idea is to charge the air in the tube, then repel it into the balloon. If the tube was small in diameter, 1/4 inch, and there was one electrode at negative and one positive switching polarity, would that repel the air into the balloon?

1. Can an Electrostatic Fluid Accelerator inflate a balloon?

Yes, an Electrostatic Fluid Accelerator can be used to inflate a balloon by applying an electric field to the fluid inside the balloon, causing it to expand and inflate the balloon.

2. How does an Electrostatic Fluid Accelerator work?

An Electrostatic Fluid Accelerator works by using an electric field to accelerate charged particles, such as ions or electrons, and directing them towards a target. This can be used to inflate a balloon by applying the electric field to the fluid inside the balloon, causing it to expand and inflate the balloon.

3. What are the advantages of using an Electrostatic Fluid Accelerator to inflate a balloon?

One advantage of using an Electrostatic Fluid Accelerator to inflate a balloon is that it does not require any moving parts, making it a simple and reliable method. It also allows for precise control of the inflation process and can be used for inflating balloons in a vacuum environment.

4. Are there any limitations to using an Electrostatic Fluid Accelerator to inflate a balloon?

One limitation is that the size of the balloon that can be inflated is limited by the size of the Electrostatic Fluid Accelerator. Additionally, the inflation process may be slower compared to other methods, such as using a pump.

5. Can an Electrostatic Fluid Accelerator be used for other applications besides inflating a balloon?

Yes, an Electrostatic Fluid Accelerator has various applications in fields such as aerospace, medicine, and energy. It can be used for tasks such as propelling spacecraft, delivering medication to targeted areas in the body, and generating electricity from solar wind.