Electrostatic Force HELP

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the charge on an oil droplet in an electric field with a given strength and a known size and density. The solution involves equating the force due to gravity with the force due to the electric field and solving for Q. The equations used include E=kQ/r^2 for the electric field and F=mg for the force due to gravity.
Magna1
Don't know where to go Get stuck at every corner.
Here it is
"A small droplet of oil of 50^10*-6m radius is sitting inside of an electric field 500^10*3 N/C which is pointing straight up. What must be the charge on the oil droplet so that the electrostatic force cancels out due to gravity? The density of oil is 800kg kg/m^3

I don't know where I am going with this. I used E=kQ/r^2 knowing E as 500^10*3 then igured Q as 138.86^10*-15C. I s this even close.

Thanks
"Learning Never Stops"

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you just use the radius they supplied? If so, you are overestimating the problem...

Things to note:

(a) They have given you the electric field strength, from which you can directly relate charge to force.

(b) They have given you radius, and density, from which you can calculate the force from gravity.

Equate the two and solve.

and then?

I figured out the F due to Gravity (Fg. I used the E and found the charge on Q. but how do I tie the 2 numbers together? I figured out the Fg by using the density=m/v but once again How do I put the two numbers together?

"Learning Never Stops"

Originally posted by Magna1
I figured out the F due to Gravity (Fg. I used the E and found the charge on Q. but how do I tie the 2 numbers together? I figured out the Fg by using the density=m/v but once again How do I put the two numbers together?
The force due to gravity equals the force due to the E field. The force due to the E field depends on Q, which is what you are trying to find. Set the forces equal and solve for Q.

So can you give concrete equations to equate with?

1. What is electrostatic force?

Electrostatic force is a fundamental force of nature that describes the attraction or repulsion between electrically charged particles. It is caused by the interaction of electric fields generated by these particles.

2. How is electrostatic force different from other forces?

Unlike other forces, such as gravity or magnetic force, electrostatic force only acts on particles with an electric charge. It also decreases with distance according to the inverse square law.

3. What factors affect the strength of electrostatic force?

The strength of electrostatic force is influenced by the magnitude of the charges involved and the distance between them. It is also affected by the dielectric constant of the material between the charged particles.

4. What are some real-life applications of electrostatic force?

Electrostatic force has a wide range of practical applications, including electrostatic precipitators used in air pollution control, electrostatic painting, and inkjet printers. It is also essential in the functioning of electronic devices such as capacitors and transistors.

5. How is electrostatic force related to electric fields?

Electrostatic force and electric fields are intimately linked. The force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the strength of the electric field at their position. In other words, the electric field acts as a mediator for the electrostatic force.