1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrostatic Force position

1. Sep 6, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An electric point charge of Q1 = 5.23 nC is placed at the origin of the real axis. Another point charge of Q2 = 1.89 nC is placed at a position of p = 2.63 m on the real axis. At which position can a third point charge of q = -2.62 nC be placed so that the net electrostatic force on it is zero?

1.643 m (SOLVED)

Let the sign of Q2 be changed from positive to negative. At which position can the point charge q be placed now so that the net electrostatic force on it is zero?

3. The attempt at a solution

Okay so I set up k(q1)(q2)/d^2=k(q2)(q3)/(D-d)^2 where D = 2.63m

I then used the quadratic and since there is no b, I used 0.

I got:
    7.12E-6d^2+0d-3.62E-5 and did the quadratic to get 2.25m but this is not right?

Help? Thanks!!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2011 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The first thing to figure out is which region the charge must be placed: to the left of Q1, between Q1 and Q2, or to the right of Q2. Only one region will give you a sensible answer.

4. Sep 6, 2011 #3
    so the answer should be negative then? Im still having trouble ugh.

5. Sep 8, 2011 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Define d and D more clearly.

Better still, pick a region and define your distances so they are all positive.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook