1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrostatic force problem

1. Apr 21, 2007 #1
    Three charges are fixed to an xy coordinate system. A charge of +14 uC is on the y axis at y= +3 m. A charge of -14 uC is at the origin. Lastly a charge of +47 is on the x axis at x= +3 m. Determine the magnitude and direction of the net electrostatic force on the charge at x= +3 m. Specify the direction relative to the -x axis.

Magnitude is in Newtons; direction is in degrees.

State whether the direction is above or below the -x axis.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2007 #2

Päällikkö

Homework Helper

4. Apr 21, 2007 #3
    If tried to get the force between points x any y, and also between x and the origin, by using the formula F= Kq1q1)/r^2. The radius between x and the origin I assumed is 3, and by using the pythagoreon theorem, I used the square root of 18 for the radius between x and y. The force between x and y came out to be .3286 N. The force between x and the origin came out to be -.65727 N. I added them together to get the net electrostatic force, which came out to be -.3287 N. I'm not sure if I did this problem right. The only thing I could think to come up with for the direction is 45 degrees.

5. Apr 21, 2007 #4

Päällikkö

Homework Helper

Force is a vector, and in this case the vectors are not pointing in the same direction. Break the vectors into x and y components.

6. Apr 21, 2007 #5
    I did cos45= (x/.3286) to get the magnitude of the force between x and y going in the same direction as the force between x and the origin. Does addin them together then give me the correct net force?

7. Apr 21, 2007 #6

Päällikkö

Homework Helper

Supposing I understood what you were about to do: yes, you get the net force in x direction. To get the total net force though, you have to take the y component into account as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?