Electrostatic force sphere problem

In summary, two identical conducting spheres attract each other with an electrostatic force of 0.158 N when their centre-to-center separation is 63.2 cm. When the wire is removed, the spheres repel each other with an electrostatic force of 0.0322 N.
jssutton11
The problem: Two identical conducting spheres, fixed in place, attract each other with an electrostatic force of 0.158 N when their center-to-center separation is 63.2 cm. The spheres are then connected by a thin conducting wire. When the wire is removed, the spheres repel each other with an electrostatic force of 0.0322 N. Of the initial charges on the spheres, with a positive net charge, what was (a) the negative charge in coulombs on one of them and (b) the positive charge in coulombs on the other?

So first I found the charges of the two spheres after the wire had been removed, since I knew that the charges must be equal. They both have a positive 1.196x10^-6 C charge. Now I am stuck trying to figure out the initial charges. Can anyone help me out? I used the Coloumbs Law equation F=(k|q1*q2|)/r^2 to find out what both charges multiply out to initially, which should be 7.02x10^-12 C. I have no idea where to go from there though.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm puzzled by this question. Since this is a conducting sphere, the charges are free to move and when they attract each other initially they'll move to the region on the sphere which is closest to the other sphere. You're given the centre-centre separation distance but not the radius of the sphere. The same consideration occurs when they are repelling each other.

Normally the distance between the center of the spheres is considered much greater than the radius so the charge movement within the spheres is neglected.

Considering the initial charges q1 and q2, and the respective charges q3 and q4 after the spheres were connected. You've found that q1q2 = -7.02 x10^-12 C^2 (negative since it's an attraction force of -0.158N) and that q3 = q4 = 1.196x10^-6 C.

From the conservation of charge, you can determine that q1 + q2 = q3 + q4.

So we've got 2 equations, 2 unknown variables:
q1 + q2 = 2.39 x 10^-6 C and
q1q2 = -7.02 x 10^-12 C^2

Solving this, you will get a quadratic equation looking like:
q1^2 - 2.39 x 10^-6 - 7.02 x 10^-12 = 0

for which the roots are the values of q1 and q2.

What is the Electrostatic Force Sphere Problem?

The Electrostatic Force Sphere Problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the electrostatic force between two charged spheres. The spheres are typically at rest and the problem is to determine the magnitude and direction of the force between them.

What are the key principles involved in solving the Electrostatic Force Sphere Problem?

The key principles involved in solving the Electrostatic Force Sphere Problem are Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them, and the principle of superposition, which states that the total force on an object is equal to the sum of the individual forces acting on it.

What are the necessary equations to solve the Electrostatic Force Sphere Problem?

The necessary equations to solve the Electrostatic Force Sphere Problem are Coulomb's law, which is F = k * (q1 * q2) / r^2, where F is the force, k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the two spheres, and r is the distance between them, and the principle of superposition, which states that the total force is equal to the sum of the individual forces.

How do you determine the direction of the electrostatic force in the Electrostatic Force Sphere Problem?

The direction of the electrostatic force in the Electrostatic Force Sphere Problem can be determined by using the principle of superposition. If the charges on the spheres are the same, the force will be repulsive and the direction will be away from each other. If the charges are opposite, the force will be attractive and the direction will be towards each other.

What are some real-world applications of the Electrostatic Force Sphere Problem?

The Electrostatic Force Sphere Problem has many real-world applications, including in the design of electronic devices, such as capacitors and semiconductors, and in understanding the behavior of particles in a plasma. It is also used in industries such as food processing, printing, and painting to control the static electricity that can cause damage or disruptions.