1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrostatic force question

1. Feb 25, 2015 #1
    First off idk if this is the right topic to post in but I've been at this problem for hours and I have no idea how to solve it.

Three metal spheres are situated in positions forming and equlateral triangle with sides of 0.012 m. X has a charge of -2.5 C. Y has a charge of 3.00 C. Z has a charge of 4 C. Calculate the electrostatic force on the Y charge.

I have tried calculating Fxy and Fzy and adding those values together but i get the wrong answer. I also have no idea of the angle

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What don't you understand about equilateral triangles? :frown:

Since you know the location of each charge relative to one another, the electrostatic force between them should be treated like a vector: magnitude and direction.

4. Feb 25, 2015 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Lana, welcome to PF :smile:
    Cold you post your work ? we might be able to see where it goes wrong -- if at all (book answers aren't always the right answers!)

5. Feb 25, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

For future reference, this belongs in Introductory Physics, not Advanced.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted