1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrostatic Force

1. Jan 20, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Electrostatic Force

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    One model of the structure of the hydrogen atom consists of a stationary proton with an electron moving in a circular path around it.The orbital path has a radius of 5.3x10^-11m. The masses of a proton and an electron are 1.67x10^-27kg and 9.1x10^-31kg, respectively. Calculate the electrostatic force between the electron and the proton.

2. Relevant equations
    F=kq1q2/r^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I looked at the question but I really didn't know where to start since none of the qs (charges) where given. I looked at the solution and I found that they used 1.6x10^-19C as the charges, so the equation subbed in looked like this: k(1.6x10^-19C)^2/r^2.
    I don't understand where or how they got 1.6x10^-19C. Any help will be appreciated! :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2008 #2

hage567

Homework Helper

-1.6x10^-19 C is the charge of one electron and is a constant. The charge on a proton is +1.6x10^-19 C.

4. Jan 20, 2008 #3
    O, Ok, I understand. I was looking around the book for something like that but couldn't find it. Teacher didn't even bother to mention it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?