1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrostatic Force

1. Oct 17, 2008 #1

1. All variables and given/known data:

[itex]a = c = 1 \times 10^{-19} C[/itex]
    [itex]b = 2 \times 10^{-19} C[/itex]
    Distance between a&b = b&c = 0.1m (b at origin, a at (0, 0.1) and c at (0, -0.1))

2. Relevant equations:

[itex]F = k\frac{|q_1||q_2|}{r^2}[/itex]

3. The problem that I'm having:

Am I correct to think that the electrostatic force on b from other charges is at a minimum because the Force will be positive and negative (due to the nature of r ([itex]\pm[/itex] 0.1)) cancelling each other out? :confused:
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Yes, the force on b due to a is "pointing down", and the force on b due to c is "pointing up", and the magnitudes of those forces are equal (from your equation). And so the vector sum of all the forces on b is zero in the situation shown.
  4. Oct 18, 2008 #3

I just realised that the radius will be squared hence the negative will also produce a positive force. How does it equal zero then (Surely, it will just equal 2F)? Am I to use another formula or is the electrostatic formula correct to use?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?