Net Electrostatic Force on particles

In summary, the net electrostatic force on the four particles is zero if and only if they are arranged in a square with equal charge magnitudes.
Aryth

Homework Statement

Four particles form a square. The charges are [tex]q_1 = q_4 = Q[/tex] and [tex]q_2 = q_3 = q[/tex].

(a) What is [tex]\frac Qq[/tex] if the net electrostatic force on particles 1 and 4 is zero?

(b) Is there any value of q that makes the net electrostatic force on each of the four particles 0? Explain.

The particles are arranged as such:

1 2
3 4

All separated by a distance a, the axes are drawn as standard up = +y and right = +x.

Homework Equations

[tex]F_E = k\frac{q_1 q_2}{r^2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

(The way I solve for Force, I say that the force from 2 to 1 as [tex]F_21[/tex])

First I find the net force on particle 1:

[tex]\sum F_1 = F_{21} + F_{31} + F_{41}[/tex]

[tex]= k\frac{qQ}{a^2} + k\frac{qQ}{a^2} + k\frac{Q^2}{(a\sqrt{2})^2}[/tex]

[tex]= 2k\frac{qQ}{a^2} + k\frac{Q^2}{2a^2}[/tex]

[tex]= 2k\frac{2qQ + Q^2}{2a^2}[/tex]

[tex] = k\frac{2qQ + Q^2}{a^2}[/tex]

I determined that the net force on 4 must be the same, so the net force on Q is then:

[tex]\sum F_Q = 2k\frac{2qQ + Q^2}{a^2} = 0[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{2k}{a^2}(2qQ + Q^2) = 0[/tex]

I determined that [tex](2qQ + Q^2)[/tex] must be 0, so:

[tex]2qQ + Q^2 = 0[/tex]

[tex]Q^2 = -2qQ[/tex]

[tex]Q = -2q[/tex]

[tex]\frac Qq = -2.0[/tex]

Is that right? I don't even know how to do part b and I know I forgot something in part a that is important... Which is exactly why I'm here asking for help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

That looks like the right result.

By symmetry wouldn't the only way the they could all be 0 net force would be if they were all equal charge magnitudes?

In the above calculation, the fourth step is wrong.
It should be k[4qQ +Q^2]/2a^2

Thanks for the help guys. And I can't believe I missed that little error.

So, my [tex]\frac Qq[/tex] is actually -4.0 and not -2.0.

Hey LowlyPion, would you be willing to tell me why (b) is the answer it is. I can kinda see it but I can't make it make sense to me. And thanks for the welcome.

Other than the trivial case ([itex]Q=q=0[/itex]), I don't imagine there is a way that the force on all 4 particles could be zero.

If you were told that instead of the force on particles 1 and 4 being zero, the force on 2 and 3 was zero you could apply the same method as in part a and obtain (due to symmetry) [tex]\frac{q}{Q}=-4[/tex] right?

If the force on all four is zero,. then both cases would have to apply simultaneously. Is it possible for [tex]\frac{q}{Q}=-4[/tex] and [tex]\frac{Q}{q}=-4[/tex] to both be true?

Ah, that makes perfect sense.

Thank you very much for the help. I appreciate it.

Welcome :smile:

1. What is net electrostatic force on particles?

The net electrostatic force on particles is the overall force exerted by electric charges on each other. It is a combination of attractive and repulsive forces between charged particles.

2. How is net electrostatic force calculated?

The net electrostatic force is calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of net electrostatic force?

The magnitude of net electrostatic force is affected by the magnitude of the charges on the particles, the distance between the particles, and the medium in which the particles are located.

4. Can the net electrostatic force be attractive and repulsive at the same time?

Yes, the net electrostatic force can be both attractive and repulsive at the same time. This occurs when there are multiple charged particles interacting with each other, resulting in a combination of attractive and repulsive forces.

5. How does the net electrostatic force impact the behavior of particles?

The net electrostatic force plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of particles. It can cause particles to attract or repel each other, leading to the formation of structures such as molecules and crystals. It also affects the movement and arrangement of particles in electric fields.