Electrostatic Potential homework

In summary, the electrostatic potential at point B is the same as the electrostatic potential at point A. Bringing in a test charge +2q to point B does not change the potential due to the charged sphere.
LonghornDude8

Homework Statement

A test charge +q is brought to a point A a distance r from the center of a sphere having a net charge +Q. Next, a test charge +2q is brought to a point B a distance 2r from the center of the sphere.
Compared with the electrostatic potential at A, the electrostatic potential at B is
A. smaller
B. the same
C. greater

Homework Equations

V=kq/r
U=kq1q2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

Because you are solving for electric potential I assume that you forget about the charge of the test charges and therefore you would get A. smaller. But if you use the charge of the test charges, you get b. the same. I'm just looking for someone to agree or disagree with me

Physics news on Phys.org
LonghornDude8 said:
Because you are solving for electric potential I assume that you forget about the charge of the test charges and therefore you would get A. smaller.
I agree.
But if you use the charge of the test charges, you get b. the same. I'm just looking for someone to agree or disagree with me
I disagree. As you said, the electric potential set up by the charged sphere is the same at all points in space regardless of how much additional charge you bring in.

Ya, what I said first was right. I just got a little confused because they gave extra info... I hate when that happens.

"I know one thing - that I know no thing." - lol, paradox

1. What is electrostatic potential?

Electrostatic potential is the amount of work required to bring a unit positive charge from infinity to a point in an electric field. It is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a particular location in the field.

2. How is electrostatic potential calculated?

Electrostatic potential is calculated by dividing the charge of a particle by the distance between the particle and the point where the potential is being measured. This can be represented mathematically as V = kQ/r, where V is the electrostatic potential, k is the Coulomb constant, Q is the charge, and r is the distance.

3. What is the unit of measurement for electrostatic potential?

The unit of measurement for electrostatic potential is volts (V) or joules per coulomb (J/C).

4. How does electrostatic potential differ from electric potential energy?

Electric potential energy is the potential energy a charged object has due to its position in an electric field, while electrostatic potential is the potential energy per unit charge at a specific location in the field. In other words, electric potential energy is a measure of the total potential energy of a charged object, while electrostatic potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a particular point.

5. What are some real-world applications of electrostatic potential?

Electrostatic potential is used in various technologies, such as in capacitors, where it is used to store electric charge. It is also used in electrostatic precipitators to remove particles from industrial exhaust streams. In addition, electrostatic potential is important in understanding the behavior of lightning and the functioning of electronic devices.