Calculating Electrostatic Pressure from Metal Sphere

In summary, the electrostatic pressure points at z direction because the symmetry of the force makes it so. However, the pressure is only valid for half the sphere because the theta integration is truncated to only that side.
gulsen
I have a metal sphere with the net charge q. And I'm trying to calculate the force that southern hemisphere exerts to northern hemisphere... and I get 0.

now, the electrostatic "pressure" is
[tex]\mathbf f = \sigma \mathbf E = (q/4\pi R^2) (q/4\pi \epsilon_0 r^2) \mathbf {e_r}[/tex]

due to the symmetry, the force will point at z direction, so integrating only the z component of "pressure" over the northern hemisphere should do it, right?

[tex]\int f_z dA = \int_{-\pi/2}^{\pi/2} \int_0^{2\pi} (q/4\pi R^2) (q/4\pi \epsilon_0 R^2) Rcos(\theta) R^2 sin(\theta) d\phi d\theta = 0?[/tex]

I found out that this's a question from Griffiths', and the answer manual says the [itex]\theta[/itex] integral should be within [itex][0,\pi/2][/itex], not [itex][-\pi/2, \pi/2][/itex].

Why is that?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is the same reason that an integral over all space will have phi from 0 to 2 pi and theta from 0 to pi.

It has to do with not double calculating a section of the sphere, not passing over it twice.

You're only integrating over the top half of of the sphere, not the whole thing, so your theta integration should be truncated to only that side.

What you actually found is that the net force on the entire sphere that it exerts on itself is zero, which is a nice statement of Newton's third law.

gulsen said:
I found out that this's a question from Griffiths', and the answer manual says the [itex]\theta[/itex] integral should be within [itex][0,\pi/2][/itex], not [itex][-\pi/2, \pi/2][/itex].

Why is that?
Just to restate what Crosson and StatMechGuy already explained: Realize that your integral over [itex]\phi[/itex] goes from 0 to [itex]2 \pi[/itex], so counting negative values of [itex]\theta[/itex] counts those points twice. The point [itex](\theta, \phi) = (\theta, 0)[/itex] is the same point as [itex](\theta, \phi) = (-\theta, \pi)[/itex].

In classical electrodymamics BY jackson this is explained... clearly

1. How do you calculate electrostatic pressure from a metal sphere?

To calculate electrostatic pressure from a metal sphere, you will need to use the equation P = (Q^2 / 4πε0r^4), where P is the electrostatic pressure, Q is the charge on the sphere, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, and r is the radius of the sphere.

2. What is the unit for electrostatic pressure?

The unit for electrostatic pressure is Newtons per square meter (N/m^2) or Pascals (Pa).

3. Can the electrostatic pressure on a metal sphere be negative?

No, the electrostatic pressure on a metal sphere cannot be negative. It is always a positive value due to the repulsion of like charges.

4. How does the radius of the metal sphere affect the electrostatic pressure?

The electrostatic pressure is directly proportional to the radius of the metal sphere. This means that as the radius increases, the electrostatic pressure also increases.

5. How does the charge on the metal sphere affect the electrostatic pressure?

The electrostatic pressure is directly proportional to the square of the charge on the metal sphere. This means that as the charge increases, the electrostatic pressure increases at a faster rate.