Calculating Electrostatic Pressure on a Charged Metallic Sphere

In summary, to find the electrostatic pressure on the thin uniform metallic sphere carrying a charge Q, you can use the Maxwell stress tensor and the formula P = (1/2)epsilon_0E^2, where E is the electric field. The final expression for the pressure will depend on your specific calculation for the electric field, which can be found using the given information and equations.
zargle

Homework Statement

We are told to consider a thin uniform metallic sphere carrying a charge Q. First we found the electrostatic energy of the electric field E and now we are told to find the electrostatic pressure on the sphere from this.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

We are told not to use the sigma^2 /2*epsilon_0 formula.

For my energy I got Q^2/(8pi*epsilon*R). How do I turn this into a electrostatic pressure? Do I go about it using the diagonal elements of the maxwell stress tensor?

Sorry for lack of more work, but I am COMPLETELY jammed up on this and don't really have more than this. I just need a point in the right direction to get me moving on this.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
for your question! It sounds like you are on the right track by considering the Maxwell stress tensor. The diagonal elements of the stress tensor can be used to calculate the electrostatic pressure on the sphere. Specifically, the pressure can be calculated as P = (1/2)(E^2 + B^2) - (1/2)epsilon_0E^2, where E is the electric field and B is the magnetic field. Since we are dealing with an electrostatic situation, the magnetic field is zero, so the equation simplifies to P = (1/2)epsilon_0E^2. From here, you can substitute in your expression for the electric field (which I assume is Q/(4pi*epsilon_0*R^2)) and solve for the pressure. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

What is electrostatic pressure?

Electrostatic pressure is the force exerted by electrically charged particles on each other. It is caused by the repulsion or attraction between these particles due to their opposite or similar charges.

How is electrostatic pressure measured?

Electrostatic pressure is measured in units called Pascals (Pa). It can also be measured in units of force per unit area, such as Newtons per square meter (N/m²).

What factors affect the magnitude of electrostatic pressure?

The magnitude of electrostatic pressure is affected by the amount of charge on the particles, the distance between the particles, and the medium in which the particles are located. It is also influenced by the permittivity of the medium, which is a measure of how easily electric fields can pass through it.

What is the difference between electrostatic pressure and hydrostatic pressure?

Electrostatic pressure is caused by electrically charged particles, while hydrostatic pressure is caused by the weight of a liquid or gas. Additionally, electrostatic pressure is usually much stronger than hydrostatic pressure due to the repulsion or attraction between charged particles.

How is electrostatic pressure used in real-world applications?

Electrostatic pressure has many practical applications, such as in air filters, printers, and paint sprayers. It is also important in the functioning of electronic devices, such as capacitors and transistors. In addition, electrostatic pressure is utilized in industrial processes, such as electrostatic precipitators, which remove particulates from exhaust gases.