Calculating Net Force on Charged Particles in Equilateral Triangle Configuration

In summary, the book solution uses a different calculation for the net force on the top charge, F1, relative to the other two charges.
Genericcoder
Hi guys I came upon this problem while solving in a book, there is something I am confused about the way he solved it in the answers.

(II)Three charged particles are placed at the corners of an
equilateral triangle of side 1.2m. The charges are 4uC,-8uC,and
-6uC. Calculate the magnitude and direction of the net force
on each due to the other two.
The charge -4uC is on top and -6.00uC is on the right and -8uC is on the left

I answered this by calculating the magnitude of each charge then getting the net charge by adding the vector components of each.

F12 = 0.2N;
F13 = 0.15N;
F32 = 0.3N;
F31 = 0.15;
F23 = 0.3N;
F21 = 0.2N;

I concluded the force on charge Q1 should be pointing to Q2 since its larger magnitude so I first calculated the components vectors F12 as negative as so:-

F12x = -cos(60)*0.2 = -0.1N;
F12y = -sin(60) * 0.2) = (-(3^1/2) / 10) N

F13x = cos(60)(0.15) = (3/40)N
F13y = sin(60)(0.15) = 0.129N

Now since the force is favored to go to F12 then we can add F12 to F13 we are subtracting anyway that's why I did F13 as positive,since I know that force net should go to F12;

F1x = -0.3 + 3/40 = -1/40N
F1y = -(3^1/2) / 10 + 0.129 = -0.044N

But the way he answered in the book is really different.

the book answer is as follows:
F1x = -(0.1997N)cos(60) + (0.1498)cos60 = -2.495 * 10^-2;
F1y = -(0.1997)sin(60) - (0.1498N)sin60 = -3.027 * 10^-1;

Notice that he subtracted the y component vector which really doesn't make sense I mean both are attracting the positive proton so it wouldn't make sense to subtract. Did I miss something here? I also notice that 0.1997 F12 is really close just my rounding must have been incorrect. I also didn't include here the calculation for the force relative to point 2,since if I know what I did wrong here same thing apply to point 2 calculation(thats if I did something wrong).

Thanks alot.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is that first charge +4 μC or -4 μC? You've used both in your description of the problem.

Did you draw a diagram first and sketch in vectors for all the various forces, taking into account how the charges of same and different signs interact? Ascertaining the directions of the vectors is key.

Srry I typed it wrong the first charge is +4uC not -4uC the one on top yeh I drawed all vectors calculated first the magnitude then used logic to see which one it would get attracted more in order to get the net charge as I did above.

Look at the forces acting on charge 1. Both have y-components that are pointing downwards (negative), and one has a negative x-component while the other a positive x-component. The math should reflect these component directions.

attachment.php?attachmentid=45356&stc=1&d=1332371244.gif

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    2.6 KB · Views: 776
I see I made the x-component that way,but I guess I made the y-component minus too.
I thought since both are pointing downards i'd minus the force of larger component in order to get net accelaration,but since the x-component is the one that has opposite sides that would take care of the math.

Thanks it totally makes sense now :).

1. What is an electrostatic problem?

An electrostatic problem is a type of problem in the field of physics that deals with the study of electric charges at rest. It involves understanding the behavior of electric charges, the forces between them, and how they interact with electric fields.

2. How do you solve an electrostatic problem?

To solve an electrostatic problem, you need to use the principles of Coulomb's law and Gauss's law. First, determine the charges and their positions in the system. Then, use Coulomb's law to calculate the force between the charges. Next, use Gauss's law to calculate the electric field at a point in the system. Finally, use the electric field and the force to find the net force on each charge and the resulting motion of the charges.

3. What is the difference between electrostatics and electrodynamics?

Electrostatics deals with stationary electric charges, while electrodynamics deals with moving electric charges. In electrostatics, the electric field is constant and does not change over time, while in electrodynamics, the electric field changes over time due to the motion of charges.

4. How do you test for electrostatic problems?

Electrostatic problems can be tested using various methods such as using an electroscope or a Van de Graaff generator. These devices can detect the presence of electric charges and can also be used to demonstrate the principles of electrostatics.

5. Can electrostatic problems be harmful?

Yes, electrostatic problems can be harmful if not managed properly. For example, a buildup of static electricity can cause sparks which can ignite flammable materials. It is important to understand and follow safety precautions when dealing with electrostatic problems.