How Would Changes in Coulomb's Law Affect Electrostatic Interactions?

In summary, the conversation discusses the implications of Coulomb's law, which states that electric force decreases with distance, on the behavior of charged particles and neutral insulators. It also explores the possibility of two metal spheres clinging together after touching. The expert summarizer concludes that if the electric forces were independent of distance, there would be no polarization and no attractive force on the insulator, and the behavior of the spheres after touching would depend on their initial charge.
kyrax

Homework Statement

1)Coulomb's law states that the electric force becomes weaker with increasing distance. Suppose that instead the electric force between two charged particles were independent of distance. In this case, would a charged comb still cause a neutral insulator to become polarized? why or why not? Would a neutral insulator still be attracted to the comb? why or not why?

2)Two metal spheres are hanging from nylon threads. When you bring the spheres close to each other, you notice that they tend to attract. Is it possible that after the spheres touch, they will cling together? why or why not?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here are my attempts. Please correct me if I'm wrong and elaborate on why I'm right if I'm right.

1)If the electric forces between two charged particles were independent, would this mean the amount of force will be the same anywhere? If this is the case, the charged comb will cause the neutral insulator to become polarized because there is a electric force acting on it and the insulator will be attracted to the comb.

2)I don't really get how induced charges work. Are the protons and electrons positioning themselves so that the spheres will be polarized? if they touch, wouldn't charges be transferred to each sphere to neutralize them. If this is true, then they can't cling together. I need someone to explain this to me

Physics news on Phys.org
1) There shouldn't be a force on the insulator. The reason for polarization is because the repulsive force on the like charges, when further away from the comb, is less than the attractive force on the unlike charges closer to the comb. Therefore the insulator becomes polarized. But if the Coulomb's law had no distance factor, the forces would be equal, and there woouldn't be any polarization, and so no attractive force. I hope that's understandable.

2)I don't get it. are the spheres initially charged? If they are, then if they are equally charged, then after touching they would both be neutral and will not attractive. If there is a difference in charge magnitude, then after touching there would be some charge, and induction will cause the spheres to attract. The question isn't very clear.

jix said:
1) There shouldn't be a force on the insulator. The reason for polarization is because the repulsive force on the like charges, when further away from the comb, is less than the attractive force on the unlike charges closer to the comb. Therefore the insulator becomes polarized. But if the Coulomb's law had no distance factor, the forces would be equal, and there woouldn't be any polarization, and so no attractive force. I hope that's understandable.

2)I don't get it. are the spheres initially charged? If they are, then if they are equally charged, then after touching they would both be neutral and will not attractive. If there is a difference in charge magnitude, then after touching there would be some charge, and induction will cause the spheres to attract. The question isn't very clear.

thanks. i think you answered both my questions

1. What is electrostatics?

Electrostatics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of electric charges at rest or in motion.

2. What are the fundamental laws of electrostatics?

The fundamental laws of electrostatics are Coulomb's law, Gauss's law, and the electric field equation. These laws describe the behavior of electric charges and the electric field they create.

3. How can I calculate the electric field in an electrostatic problem?

The electric field can be calculated using the electric field equation, which states that the electric field at a point is equal to the force exerted on a test charge divided by the magnitude of the charge.

4. What are some common examples of electrostatic problems?

Some common examples of electrostatic problems include the attraction or repulsion between charged objects, the behavior of electric charges in conductors and insulators, and the creation of static electricity through friction.

5. How can I mitigate electrostatic problems in everyday life?

To mitigate electrostatic problems in everyday life, one can use measures such as grounding, shielding, and humidification to prevent the buildup of static electricity. Additionally, using materials with a low conductivity can help reduce the effects of electrostatic problems.