Electrostatic Series: Does Rubber & Glass Affect Charged Comb?

In summary, the conversation is about a thought experiment involving suspending a plastic comb from a table and charging it with static electricity before testing its attraction to different materials. The individual is wondering if their hypothesis about the materials' electronegativity is correct and is advised to conduct a real experiment instead of a thought one. The conversation ends with the individual asking for clarification on the problem.
jwj11

Homework Statement

This is just a thought experiment and I wanted to know if my answer is correct.

If I...
1) Tie a string to one of the plastic combs and suspend this comb from the edge of a table
2) Then rub the suspended plastic comb in wool to give it a negative charge
3) and If I bring a piece of glass near the charged suspended comb
4) or if I bring a piece of rubber near the charged suspended comb

Then for the glass I will observe that the charged comb will move away from the glass.

And for the rubber I will observe that the charged comb moves toward the rubber.

This is because glass has low electronegativity and rubber has a high electronegativity on the electrostatic series?

Would my hypothesis be correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
hey jwj11,
Why do a thought experiment when you can do a real one. Much more fun and more likely to give the right answer...:wink:

because when I did it both of the materials were attracted to the charged comb? How am I suppose to differentiate which is more electronegative?

jwj11,

You wrote your hypothesis...
3) and If I bring a piece of glass near the charged suspended comb
4) or if I bring a piece of rubber near the charged suspended comb
Then for the glass I will observe that the charged comb will move away from the glass.
And for the rubber I will observe that the charged comb moves toward the rubber.

and you wrote your experience..
because when I did it both of the materials were attracted to the charged comb

Now what exactly is the problem?

1. How does the electrostatic series work?

The electrostatic series is a way of ranking materials based on their tendency to gain or lose electrons when in contact with other materials. This ranking is based on the materials' relative positions in the series, with those at the top having a stronger tendency to gain electrons and those at the bottom having a stronger tendency to lose electrons.

2. What is the role of rubber and glass in the electrostatic series?

Rubber and glass are both insulating materials, meaning they do not conduct electricity well. In the electrostatic series, rubber and glass are ranked towards the bottom, indicating that they have a weaker tendency to gain or lose electrons compared to other materials.

3. How does the electrostatic series affect charged combs?

The electrostatic series can predict which materials will attract or repel each other when they come into contact. In the case of a charged comb, the materials in the comb will either gain or lose electrons based on their position in the series and will attract or repel the materials in the surrounding environment accordingly.

4. Can the position of rubber and glass in the electrostatic series change?

Yes, the position of materials in the electrostatic series can change depending on the conditions. For example, rubbing two materials together or exposing them to certain chemicals can alter their electron transfer tendencies and therefore change their position in the series.

5. How can the electrostatic series be used in practical applications?

The electrostatic series is used in various applications such as in the production of static electricity for experiments or in the construction of electronic devices. It is also used in industries such as printing, where the electrostatic properties of materials are important for the transfer of ink onto paper.