Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Electrostatic Series

1. Jan 5, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is just a thought experiment and I wanted to know if my answer is correct.

If I...
    1) Tie a string to one of the plastic combs and suspend this comb from the edge of a table
    2) Then rub the suspended plastic comb in wool to give it a negative charge
    3) and If I bring a piece of glass near the charged suspended comb
    4) or if I bring a piece of rubber near the charged suspended comb

Then for the glass I will observe that the charged comb will move away from the glass.

And for the rubber I will observe that the charged comb moves toward the rubber.

This is because glass has low electronegativity and rubber has a high electronegativity on the electrostatic series?

Would my hypothesis be correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2009 #2
    hey jwj11,
    Why do a thought experiment when you can do a real one. Much more fun and more likely to give the right answer....:wink:

4. Jan 5, 2009 #3
    because when I did it both of the materials were attracted to the charged comb? How am I suppose to differentiate which is more electronegative?

5. Jan 6, 2009 #4
    jwj11,

You wrote your hypothesis...
    3) and If I bring a piece of glass near the charged suspended comb
    4) or if I bring a piece of rubber near the charged suspended comb
    Then for the glass I will observe that the charged comb will move away from the glass.
    And for the rubber I will observe that the charged comb moves toward the rubber.

and you wrote your experience..
    because when I did it both of the materials were attracted to the charged comb

Now what exactly is the problem?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook