1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrostatic Series

1. Jan 5, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is just a thought experiment and I wanted to know if my answer is correct.

If I...
    1) Tie a string to one of the plastic combs and suspend this comb from the edge of a table
    2) Then rub the suspended plastic comb in wool to give it a negative charge
    3) and If I bring a piece of glass near the charged suspended comb
    4) or if I bring a piece of rubber near the charged suspended comb

Then for the glass I will observe that the charged comb will move away from the glass.

And for the rubber I will observe that the charged comb moves toward the rubber.

This is because glass has low electronegativity and rubber has a high electronegativity on the electrostatic series?

Would my hypothesis be correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2009 #2
    hey jwj11,
    Why do a thought experiment when you can do a real one. Much more fun and more likely to give the right answer....:wink:

4. Jan 5, 2009 #3
    because when I did it both of the materials were attracted to the charged comb? How am I suppose to differentiate which is more electronegative?

5. Jan 6, 2009 #4
    jwj11,

You wrote your hypothesis...
    3) and If I bring a piece of glass near the charged suspended comb
    4) or if I bring a piece of rubber near the charged suspended comb
    Then for the glass I will observe that the charged comb will move away from the glass.
    And for the rubber I will observe that the charged comb moves toward the rubber.

and you wrote your experience..
    because when I did it both of the materials were attracted to the charged comb

Now what exactly is the problem?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?