1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrostatic Speakers

1. Sep 21, 2004 #1
    Trying to understand some course material and I decided to look into electrostatic speakers. I can't seem to apply electrostatic theory formulaes to the speaker model.

There are two stators and a diaphragm in the speaker, my current guess is that the two stators act like a capacitor and hence act like a infinite line of charge also as a parallel plate.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2004 #2
    Electrostatic speakers are indeed parallel plate copacitors with something soft in between the plates so they can move. The must take enough voltage to hurt.

4. Sep 22, 2004 #3
    Electrostatic speakers, as a result of their high potential voltage, were often ruined over the years by cigarette smoke fouling what I believe you call stators (not unlike the action of eco-friendly "scrubbers" in high-tech chimneys). Their reproduction of heavy bass was problematic, I think because such a capacitive circuit tends toward greater efficiency at higher frequencies and shallow excursion of the diaphram.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?