Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrostatics and Electrons

1. Sep 5, 2015 #1
    If we have two negatively charged bodies , say A and B, and body A has more electrons on its surface than Body B , would the electrons of body A transfer to body B?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2015 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

What do you think, and why?

4. Sep 5, 2015 #3
    I don't know

5. Sep 5, 2015 #4

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

We aren't asking what you know (of course you don't know the answer - if you did you wouldn't be asking), we're asking what you think and why. You won't get very far with this sort of question if you don't at least try working it out for yourself - even if you don't get it right, you'll clarify the problem and the subproblems for yourself.

Here are some questions to help you get started:
    1) What makes electrons move from one place to another?
    2) What might stop them from moving from one place to another?
    3) What would happen if the electrons did move?
    4) What would happen if they didn't move?

6. Sep 5, 2015 #5
    I also would suggest to define better the problem taking, e.g. 2 equal spherical conductors separated by a given distance (in air? In the void?).

--
    lightarrow

7. Sep 6, 2015 #6
    I believe that the result might be that the electrons move from a body that is more charged to the other body which is less charged in order to maintain equilibrium

8. Sep 6, 2015 #7
    This is true if the 2 bodies are of the same exact shape and dimensions.
    Now what do you think it will happen if body A is a metal sphere with radius 1 cm, has 10 electrons on its surface, body B is a metal sphere with radius 2 cm with 15 electrons on its surface and they are allowed to come in contact? Electrons will move from A to B or the opposite or won't move at all?

--
    lightarrow

9. Sep 6, 2015 #8
    The numbers don't come out right with the number of electrons you've given ;)

10. Sep 6, 2015 #9
    Why?

--
    lightarrow

11. Sep 7, 2015 #10
    I'm sorry,I hadn't done the math and was misled by my ape intuition.I did the math now and it works.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook