Electrostatics and Electrons

In summary, if we have two negatively charged bodies, say A and B, and body A has more electrons on its surface than Body B, would the electrons of body A transfer to body B? What do you think, and why?
Elsa1234
If we have two negatively charged bodies , say A and B, and body A has more electrons on its surface than Body B , would the electrons of body A transfer to body B?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think, and why?

jtbell said:
What do you think, and why?
I don't know

Elsa1234 said:
I don't know

We aren't asking what you know (of course you don't know the answer - if you did you wouldn't be asking), we're asking what you think and why. You won't get very far with this sort of question if you don't at least try working it out for yourself - even if you don't get it right, you'll clarify the problem and the subproblems for yourself.

Here are some questions to help you get started:
1) What makes electrons move from one place to another?
2) What might stop them from moving from one place to another?
3) What would happen if the electrons did move?
4) What would happen if they didn't move?

I also would suggest to define better the problem taking, e.g. 2 equal spherical conductors separated by a given distance (in air? In the void?).

--
lightarrow

Nugatory said:
We aren't asking what you know (of course you don't know the answer - if you did you wouldn't be asking), we're asking what you think and why. You won't get very far with this sort of question if you don't at least try working it out for yourself - even if you don't get it right, you'll clarify the problem and the subproblems for yourself.

Here are some questions to help you get started:
1) What makes electrons move from one place to another?
2) What might stop them from moving from one place to another?
3) What would happen if the electrons did move?
4) What would happen if they didn't move?
I believe that the result might be that the electrons move from a body that is more charged to the other body which is less charged in order to maintain equilibrium

Elsa1234 said:
I believe that the result might be that the electrons move from a body that is more charged to the other body which is less charged in order to maintain equilibrium
This is true if the 2 bodies are of the same exact shape and dimensions.
Now what do you think it will happen if body A is a metal sphere with radius 1 cm, has 10 electrons on its surface, body B is a metal sphere with radius 2 cm with 15 electrons on its surface and they are allowed to come in contact? Electrons will move from A to B or the opposite or won't move at all?

--
lightarrow

lightarrow said:
This is true if the 2 bodies are of the same exact shape and dimensions.
Now what do you think it will happen if body A is a metal sphere with radius 1 cm, has 10 electrons on its surface, body B is a metal sphere with radius 2 cm with 15 electrons on its surface and they are allowed to come in contact? Electrons will move from A to B or the opposite or won't move at all?

--
lightarrow
The numbers don't come out right with the number of electrons you've given ;)

LittleMrsMonkey said:
The numbers don't come out right with the number of electrons you've given ;)
Why?

--
lightarrow

lightarrow said:
Why?

--
lightarrow

I'm sorry,I hadn't done the math and was misled by my ape intuition.I did the math now and it works.

1. What is electrostatics?

Electrostatics is the study of electric charges that are at rest, or not in motion. It deals with the behavior of these charges and how they interact with each other and with electric fields.

2. What is an electron?

An electron is a subatomic particle with a negative charge that orbits around the nucleus of an atom. It is one of the fundamental building blocks of matter and plays a crucial role in electricity and magnetism.

3. How do electrons create an electric field?

Electrons create an electric field due to their negative charge. As they move, they create a force that pushes or pulls other charged particles, creating an electric field in the space around them.

4. How do electrons move in a conductor?

In a conductor, electrons are able to move freely due to the presence of loosely bound outer electrons in the atoms. When a voltage is applied, the electrons flow through the conductor, creating an electric current.

5. What is the difference between static electricity and current electricity?

Static electricity is the buildup of electric charge on the surface of an object, while current electricity is the flow of electric charge through a conductor. In static electricity, the charges are not in motion, while in current electricity, the charges are in motion.