1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrostatics and symmetry

1. May 15, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

"Find the direction and the variables which the electrostatic field depends on at all points of the plane (xOy) uniformly charged with the density of positive charges ϱ"

3. The attempt at a solution

So first of all, I have to study the Invariances of symmetry. I tried to switch to the cylindrical coordinate system (Ur, Uθ, Uz) and I observe that there is an Rotational symmetry following Uθ and a Translational symmetry following Uz, which made me conclude that the electrostatic field only depends on r.

2. Relevant equations

However, my teacher found that there is a Rotational symmetry following Uθ and a Translational symmetry following Ur, which means that the field only depends on z.
    Shouldn't it be the opposite ?? How did he find so ??

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2017 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

All the charges are in the xOy plane. How does that lead to a translation symmetry in z?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted