• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Electrostatics charge question

• Thread starter pharaoh
  • Start date
I had this question on the test yesterday,

why does brushing or combing your hair give it "volume"?

my answer was because combing or brushing involve collision (like rubbing) between the particles of different object, making one object to become negatively charg and the pther positively charge.

is my answer is right?

Answers and Replies

GmL
Yes, you're correct. The electrons move from the two objects, making one positive and one negative.

thank you for your response!

Doc Al
Mentor
Not to nitpick, but why does that give your hair "volume"? (Complete the explanation.)

GmL
Is that a general question or is it addressed to me or is it addressed to pharaoh?

Doc Al
Mentor
I was addressing it to pharaoh, of course! He gave a correct, but partial, answer.

All I know is the older I get the less it seems to work. I would assume ? directed at the OP.

Not to nitpick, but why does that give your hair "volume"? (Complete the explanation.)
well, Idon't really have any idea beside the first answer.

you're probably overlooking the obvious or thinking too hard. If the brushing causes each hair to stand out and repel its neighbors--ever seen a van de graaf generator demo where each hair is erect--then the perceived volume increases, Now if you have only two hairs on your head, you might look like some alien with antennae.