1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrostatics charge question

1. Mar 29, 2007 #1
    I had this question on the test yesterday,

why does brushing or combing your hair give it "volume"?

my answer was because combing or brushing involve collision (like rubbing) between the particles of different object, making one object to become negatively charg and the pther positively charge.

is my answer is right?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2007 #2

GmL

Yes, you're correct. The electrons move from the two objects, making one positive and one negative.

4. Mar 29, 2007 #3
    thank you for your response!

5. Mar 29, 2007 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Not to nitpick, but why does that give your hair "volume"? (Complete the explanation.)

6. Mar 29, 2007 #5

GmL

Is that a general question or is it addressed to me or is it addressed to pharaoh?

7. Mar 29, 2007 #6

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I was addressing it to pharaoh, of course! He gave a correct, but partial, answer.

8. Mar 29, 2007 #7
    All I know is the older I get the less it seems to work. I would assume ? directed at the OP.

9. Mar 29, 2007 #8
    well, Idon't really have any idea beside the first answer.

10. Mar 29, 2007 #9
    you're probably overlooking the obvious or thinking too hard. If the brushing causes each hair to stand out and repel its neighbors--ever seen a van de graaf generator demo where each hair is erect--then the perceived volume increases, Now if you have only two hairs on your head, you might look like some alien with antennae.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?