1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrostatics - Charges

1. Jan 31, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The ball 1 can be charged to a certain charge Q by a generator. After that, through contact with the ball 2, the first ball can transfer to second ball part of its charge. After the first contact, the ball 2 has a charge q. Before the contact, the ball 2 was neutral. What charge the ball 2 can acquire repeating the process repeatedly.

http://www.luiseduardo.com.br/electricity/electrostatics/electrostaticsproblems_arquivos/image002.jpg [Broken]

2. Relevant equations
    Q = Q'+q --> Conservation of Charges
    Q = C.V ---> Capacitor charge
    C = r/K ----> Capacitance of a sphere

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, first, I tried to use the conservation of charges equation several times replacing Q' (charge of the sphere that will be recharged) by C.V, where C is the capacitance and V the potential. After that, I didn't find a way to find the answer of the problem. Could anyone help me? Please give me your complete explanation or solution.

PS: The answer of the problem is qQ/(Q-q)

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2014 #2
    The charge from one ball to another ball will flow till they are at the same potential.
    Now, to give you a start, let me tell you the first step:

Assume C1 and C2 as the capacitances of ball 1 and ball2 respectively, equate the potential and find the ratio of [itex]\frac{C1}{C2}[/itex]. Now equate the potential for the 2nd step till you find a relation between the charges transferred.

P.S: 1) The charges will be a part of a series. it is for you to guess which one.
    2) It is against the rule of this forum to give a detailed solution. Moreover, I think you should try
    your fullest before you look for the solution.

Best of luck!

ADI.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted